Cascading Select Does Not Work with Select Multiple Questions

Jump to solution
10-10-2016 01:49 AM
WengNg
by
New Contributor III

Hi  Everyone,

I couldn't get the cascading select function to work on select_multiple questions in my form but it works with select_one questions.  Is this a limitation of the cascading select function?

Please find an example form attached for your reference. If you switch the select_multiple to a select_one question, the cascading select works .

I'm using version 1.8.27.

Thanks,

Weng

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Weng,

In the sample you provided, both of the questions appeared as select_ones.  Which workflow are you trying to support:

- have a select_multiple question populate the answers for a select_one question

- have a select_one question populate the answers for a select_multiple question 

- have a select_multiple question populate the answers for a select_multiple question

Regardless, we currently do not have support for cascading selects interacting with select_multiples.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

have your seen the related threads https://community.esri.com/search.jspa?q=cascading%20select there is at least one example of a working file

0 Kudos
WengNg
by
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Cascading select does work with most of the question types but it doesn't work on a particular type of question (a select multiple questions type) .

I also found another post from a user who asked the same question https://community.esri.com/message/632865-cascade-select-with-selectmultiple . 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes I saw that one as well, but it was unanswered, I was hoping that one of the other threads might have had a similar question, but wasn't flagged as specifically as these two.

Time to flag ichivite-esristaff‌ in case this is in the works or an example is given elsewhere

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Just to weigh in, I still haven't found an answer to if it works or not!

Carmel

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Weng,

In the sample you provided, both of the questions appeared as select_ones.  Which workflow are you trying to support:

- have a select_multiple question populate the answers for a select_one question

- have a select_one question populate the answers for a select_multiple question 

- have a select_multiple question populate the answers for a select_multiple question

Regardless, we currently do not have support for cascading selects interacting with select_multiples.

WengNg
by
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Apologies for that, I have reattached the XLSForm with the correct question type. I was trying to use a select_one question to populate answers for a select multiple question.

Are there workarounds for this? My select_multiple question can get quite long and a cascading select will be very helpful instead of displaying a very long list.

Thanks,

Weng

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Weng,

Right now, there isn't an elegant workaround- the best that you could do is to create a set of select_multiples that are relevant based on the select_one that is selected and then process the data in another field by adding the values together as a form of coalesce.  An example is attached

JoshuaChan2
New Contributor III

still not working.... 

any updates?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Joshua,

Currently, we do not have an update on this enhancement.  

0 Kudos