Best web publishing database

Jump to solution
09-01-2016 04:41 PM
KathleenWallis
Occasional Contributor II

I need advice from anyone who has set up a successful workflow for publishing to webapp builder from a publish only environment. Here is my issue.

Our utility department wants to publish a webmap that has many layers and I am trying to establish the best publishing environment for the best map performance. The map I am publishing is for viewing only and will not be edited. 

1. I have successfully mastered publishing to ArcGIS online from my SDE server - however the data is in a database
          that is in state plane, not web Mercator.
2. I have successfully mastered publishing to ArcGIS online from a file geodatabase that sits on the C drive on my
          server.
3. Most layers are edited every couple of days, so a cached or tiled map is  out of the question. 

I have done all the scale dependencies and using only ArcGIS online or ESRI optimized symbol but want to take it
to the next step by

1. Setting up a database where all map layers are re- projected into web Mercator so that the web service does not have
      to re-project on the fly. This database will consist of only my published map layers instead of my entire LGIM
     database. 
2.  Have that geodatabase be a file geodatabase on my server's C drive so that I am not having to hit the SQL server
      the is continually being asked for queries by the daily editors.

So my questions are as follows.
1. Is it possible to synchronize these map service layers down from SDE to the file gdb on a weekly basis to that the data in the webmap reflects data that is not too stale. I am assuming setting up data replication will work?

2. Will the map service published from the file geodatabase reflect regular changes (updated attributes and additional
    points and lines, but not changes in schema) without my mapservice having to be refreshed or restarted.

3. Is there any other performance measure I can take that has not been mentioned?

Thanks in your patience in reading all this.   

Katy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BelkiyaErcan2
New Contributor II

Hello Neil,

Thanks your comment. It's partly true. As a rule, recommended that you use an enterprise geodatabase to maintain the source data for your services. When you use a file geodatabase as a data source, you should place an identical copy of the file geodatabase on each GIS server machine or you have to make network sharing from map's source to every GIS server. If you copied your map's data source to your GIS servers, that minimizes network communication traffic among the different ArcGIS Server components and reduces I/O contention when accessing the file geodatabases. Factors that influence potential disk I/O contention for a shared file geodatabase include the number of layers in the map service, the nature of the data in the file geodatabase, and the file storage device. But an enterprise geodatabase offers high-availability support, backup and recovery, concurrency, scalability, and a tendency to provide superior throughput.

Regards,

View solution in original post

12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Started...
Suggestions/Answers are updated soon...

BelkiyaErcan2
New Contributor II

Hello,

Maybe these links helps for your performance considerations.

Map authoring considerations—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Tuning and configuring services—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server 

In generally, if your map is slow in ArcMap, then your service will be work slow after it published. Check the drawing performance for your map in ArcMap. Before you are publishing, check the drawing performance for your service in the Preview window.

Optimizing map content for performance—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Previewing your map—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server 

For best performance with geodatabases, use enterprise geodatabases. Because an enterprise geodatabase faster than a file geodatabase.

Data storage considerations for an ArcGIS Server site—Documentation (10.4) | ArcGIS for Server 

I hope that, these links useful for you.

Regards,

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

"Because an enterprise geodatabase faster than a file geodatabase."

I don't think that this statement is true. If you don't need feature access (editing), use a fgdb as you have outlined.

BelkiyaErcan2
New Contributor II

Hello Neil,

Thanks your comment. It's partly true. As a rule, recommended that you use an enterprise geodatabase to maintain the source data for your services. When you use a file geodatabase as a data source, you should place an identical copy of the file geodatabase on each GIS server machine or you have to make network sharing from map's source to every GIS server. If you copied your map's data source to your GIS servers, that minimizes network communication traffic among the different ArcGIS Server components and reduces I/O contention when accessing the file geodatabases. Factors that influence potential disk I/O contention for a shared file geodatabase include the number of layers in the map service, the nature of the data in the file geodatabase, and the file storage device. But an enterprise geodatabase offers high-availability support, backup and recovery, concurrency, scalability, and a tendency to provide superior throughput.

Regards,

KathleenWallis

Belkiya  thank you for all of your help and the great reference links.
KATY

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Katy,

1. Is it possible to synchronize these map service layers down from SDE to the file gdb on a weekly basis to that the data in the webmap reflects data that is not too stale. I am assuming setting up data replication will work?

Yes, you will want to create a 1-way replica from your SDE to File Geodatabase.

Creating a one-way or two-way replica—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

2. Will the map service published from the file geodatabase reflect regular changes (updated attributes and additional
    points and lines, but not changes in schema) without my mapservice having to be refreshed or restarted.

Yes, edits that are synchronized from your SDE geodatabase will show immediately in your map service without having to refresh/restart the service.  Also, if interested, you can have the schema update without having to stop the map service:

Disabling schema locking on a map service—Documentation (10.4) | ArcGIS for Server 

3. Is there any other performance measure I can take that has not been mentioned?

I noticed you stated that you are going to reproject all of your data to Web Mercator.  This won't be necessary, you can simply set the Data Frame coordinate system to Web Mercator.

Designing a map to overlay ArcGIS Online, Google Maps, or Bing Maps—Documentation | ArcGIS for Serve... 

KathleenWallis

Thank you Jake for your reply, also thank you for the overlay link. I had been changing the data FRAME to WBAS ( Web Mercator . . . .)
but did not know if this was sufficient. Glad to know I dont' have to reproject. Matchiing the scales to AGOL or google maps is also a good 
tip that I had forgotten about.
katy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I need advice from anyone who has set up a successful workflow for publishing to webapp builder from a publish only environment. Here is my issue.

Our utility department wants to publish a webmap that has many layers and I am trying to establish the best publishing environment for the best map performance. The map I am publishing is for viewing only and will not be edited. 

1. I have successfully mastered publishing to ArcGIS online from my SDE server - however the data is in a database
              that is in state plane, not web Mercator.:

Its related to your projection system and in ArcGIS online on the fly its converted to WGS84 projection.
I have successfully mastered publishing to ArcGIS online from a file geodatabase that sits on the C drive on my server.

Slow performance of map services and in future faces rendering issue also system resources uses goes high. Please use enterprise database.

1. Most layers are edited every couple of days, so a cached or tiled map is out of the question. 

Its needs frequently to update or create tiles which takes time and reconditions for tile map services use static data.

I have done all the scale dependencies and using only ArcGIS online or ESRI optimized symbol but want to take it to the next step by

1. Setting up a database where all map layers are re- projected into web Mercator so that the web service does not have to re-project on the fly. This database will consist of only my published map layers instead of my entire LGIM  database. 

True & correct

1.  Have that geodatabase be a file geodatabase on my server's C drive so that I am not having to hit the SQL server the is continually being asked for queries by the daily editors.

So my questions are as follows. 

No you can use versioning concept and reconcile each week work best in this case and more efficient.

Use above option it’s not require refresh of map services

Use system monitor to measure error and other stuff.

You can also use ArcGIS server manager>Logs > statics  to check uses and other details.

Thanks in your patience in reading all this.

Find all details ...

Please share if you require more info...

by Anonymous User
Not applicable