limitation on the number of layers one can put in an online map?

09-09-2015 11:29 AM
RobinWhite
New Contributor III

the layers are variatons on a theme--multiple demographic views of census data, in a single online map (end users turns layers on and off as needed).  Is there a limitation on the number of layers one can put in an ArcGIS Online map?  The thing I'm working with now would have 26 layers but it looks as if I am colliding with a limitation--the tracts layer I just created and published won't add correctly to my map, leaving me to wonder if I have not reached a limit.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GertConradie
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have a similar issue - I can:

Add 30-35 layers to a Web map and save it.

Use this web map in the AGOL interface from Edge/IE, no problem.

, but when viewed/used in Chrome (Version 52.0.2743.116 m) the result is a very high CPU usage and freeze/crash of Chrome.

The freeze/crash happen almost immediately on a big screen (24 inch+) while a bit of abuse by a lot of quick navigation trigger it on smaller screens as well. It don’t happen in IE/Edge etc.

There are 30-35 layers added to the web map.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Is this perhaps related to this error with chrome??

https://community.esri.com/message/614439?commentID=614439#comment-614439

But with any web map, one must set various drawing scale levels. Don't try and draw too much detail at smaller scales.

Are the 30-35 layers all in one map service or have they been added as separate feature services? Again, draw scale settings are important for response times or time out failures.

GertConradie
Occasional Contributor

Hi Neil

I'm pretty sure it is not related to the Chrome 51 issue - I'm on 52.0.2743.116. I also have the experience when browsing the web map directly in the default AGOL map viewer, not just in WAB developer edition. (Although I spend a lot of hours on optimizing my WAB custom widgets - not a bad secondary outcome...)

It is 30+ Feature Services, some of them with a big number of layers. I agree that the scale levels can be improved on our side and some is slow to respond, we will look into that. Some services we unfortuantely dont have control over.

It would be good to know if someone else experienced it before. Some stats on maximimum acceptable number of layers / maximum response times on layer 'export' requests would be good as reference as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I am not expert on these issues. All of this new focus on web services stuff, I must admit is a considerable challenge for my old brain.....

But, you may have seen some of these links, but perhaps some may be of use.

ArcGIS Enterprise system : performance & scalability

wiki.GIS Performance management

Geonet thread

0 Kudos