FMV 1.3.1 with DJI Phantom 4

07-28-2016 11:35 PM
Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

I need help figuring out how to use FMV 1.3.1 with ArcMap 10.4.1 and a DJI Phantom 4 drone.  The .mp4 and .mov video files I've created from the drone aren't recognized by the "Add an Archived Video" option.  Could this be because they are not MISB compliant and don't contain the required metadata?  If so, I'm also having trouble locating the necessary metadata information to use with the Mutiplexer tool.  I've read about .srt files with the Phantom 3 that contain such metadata, but I can't find any such files with the Phantom 4 video files.   Anyone have insight on this process?  Thanks.

34 Replies
MichalBrach
New Contributor

Douglas Ridenour​,

You do not mention about price of this extensions which is in Poland about 30% price for complete commercial ArcGIS package. So I remain of the opinion it should be part of ArcGIS package a specially nowadays we have drone like Phantom 4 in markets. Believe me - we pay your price for site license year by year but we earn 4 time less then in USA.

michal

0 Kudos
DouglasRidenour
New Contributor III

Michal,

FMV is an Add-in to ArcGIS for Desktop it requires our desktop software to function. Drone2Map is not an Add-in nor an Extension. It is a stand alone program that doesn't require ArcGIS for Desktop to function. I have no experience with sales and pricing in your local market. For that I'd recommend contacting your local Esri distributor in Poland. If you want to talk about the technical capabilities of the FMV Add-in or Drone2Map I have the experience to assist. 

Doug

0 Kudos
Will
by

Thanks the info and continued discussion.  Adding the file type to ArcCatalog solved my problem and now I can load .mp4 archived videos, thanks.  I may be missing something obvious, but where is the user's guide/help for FMV?  All i seemed to get with the download was an .esriAddIn file and a .boxnote file, and I couldn't find any particular FMV help added to the ArcMap help files or available from the FMV tool bar?  I found the "Get Started with ArcGIS Full Motion Video" training video on the Esri training site, but is there some other user reference guide or help that I am not finding?

I would echo the sentiments about getting full compatibility with Phantom 4 and other DJI drones which sounds like you are working on.  I'd be happy to provide some Phantom 4-derived .srt files and videos if desired but don't want to post here due to privacy of the flight areas, can I email them to someone at Esri, or is there a way to do it privately here on GeoNet?

I can also confirm that going into the DJI Go app and turning on the Video Caption (Menu - Settings - Video Caption), will cause the .srt files to be created.  I also discovered that using the "Maps Made Easy - Map Pilot" iOS app with healthydrones.com I was able to create .csv/.txt files from flight videos.

I've also been trying out Drone2Map and have found it useful so far, does anyone know if it will eventually have the capability of producing a DTM (terrain - bare earth) elevation model in addition to the DSM (surface) elevation model it currently provides?  DTM could be useful for drainage applications, etc.  Might mission planning also be included?  Thanks.

DouglasRidenour
New Contributor III

William,

If you click on my name I think it shows my email address at Esri. Email me and we can make arrangements to get some sample .srt files from you to look at.

Doug

0 Kudos
Will
by

Doug,

Couldn't find your email in your GeoNet profile, but I think I found it otherwise by guessing, and just emailed you a sample .srt file.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DouglasRidenour
New Contributor III

William,

The user's manual for FMV tool is here: Full Motion Video 1.3.1 User Manual.pdf  Jeff just posted it a couple of days ago. It is also embedded in the FMV tutorials here:  https://community.esri.com/message/625504 .

I'll ask the Drone2Map team about bare earth as a Drone2Map output but the method used to create the surface is image matching so you don't have additional data to bring the surface to bare earth like you would with LIDAR using second return. It should be possible to produce bare earth elevation through secondary processing in ArcGIS though, like in the days of manual photogrammetry.

Great question about mission planning. Right now Esri doesn't have plans to add mission planning into Drone2Map. There are many platform specific mission planning applications already and we're concentrating on the downstream data applications.

Doug

0 Kudos
Will
by

Any further news on MISB workflows and ArcGIS FMV compatibility with DJI drones such as the Phantom 4 or Inspire 1?  Thanks.

JeffLiedtke
Esri Contributor

We are in the middle of verifying workflows and will have some specific information next week

AaronWoods
New Contributor III

Good morning Jeff, I'm anxious to find a good workflow for this and just wanted to check if ESRI has any news yet?  I'm happy to do some testing....

0 Kudos
JeffLiedtke
Esri Contributor

Hi Aaron,

Initial investigation indicates that we may have a workable solution for multiplexing Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 data for use in the Full Motion Video Add-In.  We are working with the DJI US Dealer CompassDrone on a Phantom 4 and Matrice 100 solution, which will still take some time.  We will know more about the Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 use case shortly.

Thanks for your offer to do some testing - we may reach out to take you up on your kind offer.

Jeff