Choices & Republishing

07-29-2016 07:26 AM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

Hello, is it possible to add another choice option without having to overwrite the feature service? I currently have a choice list but there is an item that I wish to add without having to overwrite the feature service. I have over 20 surveys submitted with attachments and whatnot and I do not want to have to manually migrate everything over to the new feature service that's created from the republishing process.

A second question I have is pretty straightforward. Currently, it is not possible to add a manual text input of a choice field. Is that something that can be implemented to where the user can choose from the list of options or type a manual input. This is probably where the "or_other" option becomes practical.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jarom,

It's possible to add another choice to a list using the workflow described in this blog​ through the REST endpoint - I've successfully used it in the past but haven't tried with to see if the change comes through to Survey123, maybe test on a dummy dataset first!

Your second questions is similar to this one, I don't think it's possible at the moment but it'd be interesting to hear from the Survey123 team.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Addtionally, in the newest version of Survey123 Connect, I thought it was possible to add a choice option without overwritting the feature service?

JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

You are absolutely correct! This makes my life much easier! Thank you for your input.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-23WYWUIp9HyE
New Contributor II

I take it that I want to use the REST endpoint to modify the choices of the Feature Service, and then also edit the form through Survey123 Connect, but select to only publish the form package (see attached).  Is that the way to do it?  I'm on version 1.1.19 if that makes a difference in terms of the new version option you mention.  Thanks for your help.

Survey123FormPackage-2016-08-01_111530.jpg

0 Kudos
deleted-user-23WYWUIp9HyE
New Contributor II

Does the 'Form' item in My Content have to be updated (with the new choice) in addition to the schema of the Feature Service that is connected to the Survey?  Does the Form item that gets created upon Survey being published even still have bearing in the mechanics of the Survey123 app or does it just get created along with the Feature Service?

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Thomas Hamill​, please update your Survey123 Connect to the latest version (1.6). Back in May with our Star Wars Day Release  we enhanced the publishing process so changes  in your choice lists would not trigger Feature Service replacement.

The Survey123 Connect downloads are available here.  You can also find more info about the logic for  survey re-publishing in the Publish your survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS help topic.