Software Comparision

Jump to solution
07-26-2016 03:21 PM
CameronCole1
New Contributor III

Hi ESRI Community!

My boss and coworkers are asking me about other software and I know I love ESRI but I don't have many legs to stand on.

Compared to Geomedia how does ArcMap stack up. I need some solid arguments!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Another consideration is employee/enterprise current knowledge.  If you already know esri, does it make sense to ditch is and start over with training etc?  That may or may not be an issue for your, but with all GIS software, learning is a long term investment, not a switch.

As as Adrian and Dan mentioned, knowing what you plan to use it for also plays into it all, including the training part.  Some things are push-button easy, other things take a bit more commitment and understanding of many aspects of you data, tasks-needed and over all goals.  Any software will require time to learn (so also look at the less tangible items like tech support and user/community forum activity (i.e. this forum and what is active on others like stackexchange).

Which ever your choose, you probably want to stick with it and not decide after several years of investing.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Cameron,

Great question. I personally have not had experience with GeoMedia. It looks like someone asked this question on GeoNet awhile ago and got no replies.

Differences between Intergraph GeoMedia and ArcGIS?

However, there are some interesting comparisons on the web for these two software systems.

This lists several different GIS software packages and lists the strong points of each one

Mapping Out the GIS Software Landscape - GIS Geography

This directly compares ArcGIS to GeoMedia (kind of short on the information)

Compare ESRI ArcInfo vs Intergraph GeoMedia | IT Central Station

This Wiki page gives a crazy amount of info showing a table of all GIS platforms and how they compare to others based on select categories

Comparison of geographic information systems software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a really short side-by-side comparison of the two in which GeoMedia is in favor

TechWars - Compare, Discuss and Discover the best tools and technologies

I am not sure if this helps or not but it may give you a start. What particular industry are you in and what kind of functions are you needing? What is your budget like? Knowing these answers may help to give you an idea of where to turn.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

old Intergraph employees?

It depends where the $ comes from, both esri and non-esri software are present in Can. Govt departments, largely depending on their budget and decision maker's background.

A comparison is futile without a needs list from you/them.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Another consideration is employee/enterprise current knowledge.  If you already know esri, does it make sense to ditch is and start over with training etc?  That may or may not be an issue for your, but with all GIS software, learning is a long term investment, not a switch.

As as Adrian and Dan mentioned, knowing what you plan to use it for also plays into it all, including the training part.  Some things are push-button easy, other things take a bit more commitment and understanding of many aspects of you data, tasks-needed and over all goals.  Any software will require time to learn (so also look at the less tangible items like tech support and user/community forum activity (i.e. this forum and what is active on others like stackexchange).

Which ever your choose, you probably want to stick with it and not decide after several years of investing.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

To add to that... from an eduational perspective, it is pretty well open-source or esri ... that is the reality, at least here in Canada, and that is from a demand perspective as well.

CameronCole1
New Contributor III

These are all good reasons to look into.

Like Dan said side by side comparison is needed of what the user wants to know which is better. Well I just got off the phone with Geomedia and found out there isn't a mobile application for there web mapping like Collector and there App for sending collected data down a workflow isn't offered for IOS software.

For us the mobile data collection and updating of web maps is huge for speeding up the updates of feature class attributes.

Thanks for all of the input!

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cameron, make sure to mark all the helpful content as such, and one as the answer (if there is "one") or assumed answer if not.  That will close out the post.  Third option is to convert to a discussion, which might be a better option.

0 Kudos