How to change the projection when load esri dynamic map?

Jump to solution
10-11-2012 10:20 AM
XintaoLiu
Occasional Contributor II
For example, if I want load this as base map: 
<layer label="Topo" type="tiled or dynamic" visible="false" alpha="1" url="http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer"/>

is it possible to change the projection coordinates system, e.g. to from Mercator to North Pole? Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
I think that's a bad idea for several reasons, but the main one is probably that there are no tiles covering the poles. The Web Mercator projection does not cover the whole world, the max latitude shown is about 85 degrees north.

Like I said, I hadn't tested it with North Pole, and now that I look, I see the ESRI topo service doesn't cover anything north of Greenland, tiled or not.

Bjorn, 

Curious what the "other" reasons that make this a bad idea are?  Is there a "better" method for pulling as ESRI basemap service into a map that is other than mercator?

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
XintaoLiu
Does anyone have any clues? Thank you!
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
is it possible to change the projection coordinates system, e.g. to from Mercator to North Pole?

No, you cannot change the projection of the tiled maps.  The tiles have already been created, and there is no on-the-fly projection of them on the client.
0 Kudos
XintaoLiu
No, you cannot change the projection of the tiled maps.  The tiles have already been created, and there is no on-the-fly projection of them on the client.

Thanks for your reply. It's reasonable that we  cannot change the projection of the tiled maps. But, how about the dynamic maps and feature layers? Can we change the projection on the client? Thank you!
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
I have not tried with "North Pole", but if you load "your" basemap intially OR set the WKID to North Pole, then you should be able to load the ESRI basemap if you load as type="dynamic".  That way, it won't be limited to the pre-rendered tiles, and can project it on the fly.  It is slower than loading as tiled, but it should put it in the correct location.

Just make sure the WKID is set BEFORE you load the ESRI map.

R_
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
I have not tried with "North Pole", but if you load "your" basemap intially OR set the WKID to North Pole, then you should be able to load the ESRI basemap...

I think that's a bad idea for several reasons, but the main one is probably that there are no tiles covering the poles. The Web Mercator projection does not cover the whole world, the max latitude shown is about 85 degrees north.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Like I said, I hadn't tested it with North Pole, and now that I look, I see the ESRI topo service doesn't cover anything north of Greenland, tiled or not.

Bjorn, 

Curious what the "other" reasons that make this a bad idea are?  Is there a "better" method for pulling as ESRI basemap service into a map that is other than mercator?

R_
0 Kudos
XintaoLiu

Bjorn, 

R_

Thank you so much for your replies! I appreciate that. It worth trying the solution to see the loading speed.

I am also curious that whether ESRI basemap services have other projections other than Mercator? If yes, it should be cool!
0 Kudos