Failed to find the map

04-23-2015 12:09 PM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III

Recently my 10.2 AGS system has been throwing the following two errors.  No idea how to fix:

SEVEREApr 23, 2015, 12:56:22 PMMethod failed.HRESULT = 0x80004005 : Unspecified error .mapsCached/parcel.MapServerARETE.LC.GOV

SEVEREApr 23, 2015, 12:56:22 PMFailed to find the map.mapsCached/parcel.MapServerARETE.LC.GOV

We have two machines in that cluster and it's only "arete" that is erroring.

What is going on?

I've tried republishing the map, which succeeds fine.  I've removed arete from the site and added it back in.

The service "parcel" works fine (http://maps.larimer.org/arcgis/rest/services/mapsCached/parcel/MapServer?f=jsapi ) but I'm assuming our other server in the site is doing all the work.

Anyone have ideas?

Lastly, this seems all to appropriate:  Return The Map - YouTube

0 Kudos
13 Replies
StefanOffermann
Occasional Contributor II

I have the same error message on my geoprocessing service. Did you ever solve the problem?

Failed to find the map

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you enable Verbose logging, does more information turn up?  Maybe it'll show what it's actually trying to find, not sure what "the map" could mean in regards to what's needed to fulfill a request for a service.

0 Kudos
StefanOffermann

What is "the map"? The MSD-File is existing on the disc, how can I check what is missing? The source data of all layers referenced in the MSD file (which is a FGDB) is accessible.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I've never seen that error indicate that an .msd is missing or unavailable.  When I've seen, that, it's very specific:

In your case, I'd say it can find the .msd, considering it says it's connecting to the .msd within the logs.  Can you verify the .msd exists in that location?

0 Kudos
StefanOffermann

Sorry for my delayed answer, in the meantime it worked (or seemed to work?), now the error is back.

Jonathan Quinn:

Can you verify the .msd exists in that location?

Yes, the MSD file is existing in the folder. Also the FGDB referenced in the MSD is existing. Very hard to debug, I have no clue what is going wrong 😞

0 Kudos
StefanOffermann

In my case, I think I am coming to the crux of the matter. The GP-Service has an associated Map-Service to display the results. The jobs directory of the GP-Service is configured to never clean up the results, so that the app can always view them via map service.

I discovered that the map service never frees up his memory, so the ArcSOC process on ArcGIS Server is using more and more memory. When the soc reaches 800 MB of memory, it stops working and responds with errors. The only way to get back to normal is restarting the service and thus freeing the memory.

I am currently working on the issue with Esri Germany Support.

Btw, this problem occurs on ArcGIS Server 10.2, but I think 10.4.1 does not show this error.

0 Kudos
VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

I have the same error on the map service - AGS 10.3.1. Have you found some source of the issue or some fix? 

Thank you.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
StefanOffermann

Is it a "normal" map service or a map service associated to an asynchronous geoprocessing service? In my case, it is the latter one. At this time, Esri Germany can reproduce the bug with ArcGIS server 10.2.2, while Esri Inc cannot reproduce it. Until now, we haven't found a difference in patch level or server operating system or anything, which can explain the bug. Esri Germany stated that an upgrade to ArcGIS server 10.4.1 may solve the problem. I am currently thinking about installing the newest version of ArcGIS server for the geoprocessing service, as Esri Inc cannot reproduce the bug and will likely not make a patch for our small user base. May be you have some more users to get some more weight in fixing the bug 🙂

0 Kudos
VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

Dear Stefan,

In my case it is also scenario 1 - simple map service. Please could you provide me a bug number on your side? 

Thank you.

Vladimir
0 Kudos