resize icons

05-29-2016 07:27 PM
EmilyMiranda
New Contributor

I have a new computer and it is crazy fast! When I downloaded the ArcGIS trial I ran into a problem, the icons are really small and I am unable to work like this. Is there a solution for this? I tried to go into the program files and change the icon sizes but this is set by the developer.

Please help! I am trying to do the lessons on Mastering GIS workbook.

Emily Miranda

emily.miranda@yahoo.com

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

good luck, if it is arcmap you are talking about setting the dpi differently might work, ... in some cases it is the video, you can troll around searching using ' ions too small ' or similar phrases, but they cross paths,  try this one for starters

https://community.esri.com/thread/164476#comment-589526

no patches have been issues to deal with this issue, since it seems to be by design.

Just make sure your system requirements are compliant with the specs... especially the video end of things

ArcGIS 10.4.x for Desktop system requirements—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and there is a similar one for ArcGIS Pro

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Emily,

I agree with Dan. Good luck... I am in the same situation with a high resolution laptop that makes ArcMap all kinds of crazy.

There are a few really useful threads on GeoNet (like Dan posted) that give a few hints on what to do, but I find everyone is different with what works for them.

I have a "HD" monitor I plug into my laptop and I 'dumb down' my resolution to 1920x1080 and this tends to work ok with ArcMap. But, this has to be plugged in at startup. Otherwise things get crazy and I have to restart. Basically, it will take a lot of adjusting to different resolutions with a lot of restarts before it will start working like it should (and hopefully it will start working like it should).

I found that the best resolution for me is to get familiar with ArcGIS Pro. This behaves like it should regardless of monitor resolution.

0 Kudos