ArcGIS (10.4) Slow Loading on Windows 10

04-26-2016 09:05 AM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now opening ArcGIS (10.4) takes over a minute (1:36 last test) to load.  I have tried all of the usual tricks (delete normal, uninstall all add-ins, etc) with no luck. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: Windows 10 installation was an upgrade from Windows 7 on a 64bit machine.  Windows was 'reset' after installation and all applications were removed.  ArcGIS 10.4, ArcEngine 10.4, & Background Geoprocessing were installed after the Windows reset.

Running i5-3470 4/core, 8GB, 120GB SSD

Thanks!

57 Replies
MichaelSnook

Back to square one...after great performance for the last 2 days, ArcMap has started hanging on startup for 1.5-2 minutes.  The curiously happened right after I installed MSXML Parser 4 SP3 to deal with a separate software issue (GroupWise client).  Now I'm stuck again as it was before...tried uninstalling MsXML / repairing ArcMap to no avail.  I also installed MSXML on the last go-round originally so I can't help but think it's got to have something to do with it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

curious... Script to remove MSXML4 silently  full circle

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

Yep...just stumbled on that in Geonet after I posted...no luck.  Still hanging on startup.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Michael,

After you removed the MSXML4 SP3, did you delete any existing Scratch.gdb and Default.gdb in per user configurations and allow them to be rebuilt with MSXML6 only?

Stuart

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

Yes...I deleted the default.gdb with no effect.  I currently have a support ticket open on this with ESRI...I will keep this post updated.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
TheoFaull

When you upgraded did you have to reset? Or was that a choice you made?

I'm considering upgrading to Windows 10 but don't want to have to install all my ESRI software again!

0 Kudos
KimOllivier

I have done a "simple" dot release upgrade from 10.3.1 to 104.1 on Windows 7 and now I am back to slow startups again. So it does not appear to be related to Windows 10. No change to my licence server except that I loaded a new version. So I think it must be something in the licence manager. I am on a local network with a single use licence.

I tried:

adding a startup directory to the shortcut,

deleting my mxt startup templates

turning off arcgisonline on startup

I note that it takes 2 minutes for ArcGIS Adminstrator to open and there are expired licences in the list that I cannot remove. Maybe that is the issue?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am on windows 10 with 10.4.1 with a standalone installation (ie no licence server) and I experience absolutely no delays.

0 Kudos
KimOllivier

Do you have a lot of python third party modules that you have to reload? I like using spatialite for SQL queries because they are thousands of times faster. So I have installed pyspatialite. But it does not install from pip because that assumes a C compiler is available. I cobbled a compiled DLL by copying it from an installation of osgeo4w. if I want to take advantage of python64 bit I have to install the 64 bit version of the modules into ArcGISx6410.4 as well. That is a bridge too far, so if I need a custom module I just use an explicit path to the 32bit python executable.

Then there is python 3.5! Do I need to install all the modules into that as well for ArcGISPro? At least some of the common once such as Scipy are needed by Esri for spatial statistics so they are installed by default, but there are plenty of other useful ones such as SQLAlchemy, Geohash, Latlon, Reportlab, Pytz, Pygments, Requests, Mechanize, BeautifulSoup etc.

0 Kudos