Story Map Tour layouts

Jump to solution
05-09-2016 07:18 AM
deleted-user-OlpHy1NoMNug
Occasional Contributor II

Was the layout used here and here​ ever released?  There are multiple references about it coming soon (The Story Maps Life Cycle | Esri Insider​, A preview of Story Maps to come) but I've never actually seen it anywhere.  It's a fantastic and engaging template and I'd love to be able to use it.

Scott

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Scott

Thanks for asking about those two prototype tour layouts again ("Bees" and "Species on the Brink") and thanks for your patience. There's also a third new prototype layout you may have seen, which we used for this tour of a Frank Lloyd Wright house: A tour of the Pope-Leighey House 

The aim of all these new tour designs is to show larger photos and provide better caption handling, without overlapping the photos.

These layouts aren't available for use yet. We are working on a new app that would at first incorporate one of these layouts, along with improvements and modifications, such as multiple pics per place, and eventually provide additional layout options. We don't have a release date for that app yet. We also want to overhaul and revamp the Tour building experience, and improve our mobile look and feel.

In the meantime, if you have a tour project where you have a lot of descriptive text one option to look at is using our Story Map Shortlist app (for example see Boston Parks and Rec Design and Construction Projects. And if you also want to have multiple pictures per place, you could look at making a Story Map Journal with one section per place (for example, see Wellington's Treasured Spaces or Game of Thrones Locations in Northern Ireland). Using Map Journal in particular gives you lots of creative options because you can have unlimited text and pics per section, use different maps or layers in different sections, use Story Actions to highlight places on each map (like in Wellington's Treasured Spaces). etc.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Scott.

We agree those custom designs are cool layouts and sorry they are not released yet for all story map authors to use. It is great to have feedback like yours about them! 

We have not released those layouts in the Story Map Tour yet but updating the Story Map Tour with some new options in on our list for development work starting later this year. Currently our priority is to release two new apps (Story Map Cascade (example) and Story Map Crowdsource) first.

Did you also see this custom map tour design, which is navigated by just scrolling:

http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2016/on-the-brink/

That's another layout for Map Tour we are considering and so are happy to get feedback on it too.

Rupert

0 Kudos

Rupert, 

I know that Story Map Cascade and Crowdsource were both released but did the other templates discussed here get shelved?  ETA if not?

I've started another project that I think would work really well with these.

Scott

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Scott

Thanks for asking about those two prototype tour layouts again ("Bees" and "Species on the Brink") and thanks for your patience. There's also a third new prototype layout you may have seen, which we used for this tour of a Frank Lloyd Wright house: A tour of the Pope-Leighey House 

The aim of all these new tour designs is to show larger photos and provide better caption handling, without overlapping the photos.

These layouts aren't available for use yet. We are working on a new app that would at first incorporate one of these layouts, along with improvements and modifications, such as multiple pics per place, and eventually provide additional layout options. We don't have a release date for that app yet. We also want to overhaul and revamp the Tour building experience, and improve our mobile look and feel.

In the meantime, if you have a tour project where you have a lot of descriptive text one option to look at is using our Story Map Shortlist app (for example see Boston Parks and Rec Design and Construction Projects. And if you also want to have multiple pictures per place, you could look at making a Story Map Journal with one section per place (for example, see Wellington's Treasured Spaces or Game of Thrones Locations in Northern Ireland). Using Map Journal in particular gives you lots of creative options because you can have unlimited text and pics per section, use different maps or layers in different sections, use Story Actions to highlight places on each map (like in Wellington's Treasured Spaces). etc.

Rupert

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Here are a couple more examples of Map Journals I found in the Map Journal Gallery that may give people some ideas for ways to present tour-type content that doesn't fit well into the Story Map Tour app:

> City of LA Major Projects

> City of Moreno Valley, CA Economic Development

> City of Kingston, Ontario, Industrial Lands

Rupert

0 Kudos

Rupert, 

Thanks for your reply.  We're primarily interested in the "Bees" template for its ability to show large high quality photos.  We're looking to convert our current Public Art Tour storymap and due to the subject matter, high quality photos would be really nice.  We can make it work with the Shortlist template, but the others are a bit more engaging to me.

Since the "Bees" was done by your team, would it possible to get a clone of the source code?  I'd obviously prefer the configuration route but I don't mind getting into the code a bit.  Obviously we'd be on our own for support with this but it still might be worth it to us.

Scott 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Scott. 

OK. I can provide the raw code on but only on an as-is basis: it is unsupported and we don't maintain it. It has not been tested on the latest browsers or web security environments so we don't recommend it for high-profile production use. Please contact me via email (see address in my Geonet profile) if still interested.

Rupert

0 Kudos

Sounds good, thanks.  We may very likely end up just using the Shortlist template but it’ll be helpful for me to take a look regardless.

Scott

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Cool. BTW we are big fans of your City of Greenville Downtown Reborn Story Map Cascade, which a lot of people may have seen because it was one of our 2017 Esri Storytelling With Maps Contest winners.

Rupert

0 Kudos

Thank you for the kind words, it was a lot of fun to work on.

One other related question, if I'm not using Map Tour builder how do I set the order of the points.  Does it always use Object ID?

Scott

0 Kudos