How to convert attribute table meters to miles and inert in new column.

Jump to solution
04-28-2016 10:25 AM
Labels (2)
RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

I have a shape file with many short hiking routes.  In the attribute table there is a column with the length of each route in meters.  I would like to add a column with the number of miles for each route so I can label each route with the number of miles.

I am using ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced and ArcMap.   Can I do this with ArcMap?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Even better

1) Add New Field "Len_mile"

2) Right-click the field > Calculate Geometry

3) Select Length as the parameter and "Miles" in unit (Need to use a Pojected Coordinate System)

Think Location

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Rick,

First you will want to Add a new Field:

Add Field—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Click on the icon in the upper left corner of your attribute table and choose Add Field:

Give the field a name and you will likely want to select double or float for the data type.

Then, you will want to calculate this field by right clicking on the column header and choosing Field Calculator...:

Here, you can put in the equation for meters to miles. Likely something like this:

With 0.000621371 as your conversion factor or so.

RickCheney

Thank you so much for your help. I won't be at my desk for another four hours but I can't wait to try these solutions.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Even better

1) Add New Field "Len_mile"

2) Right-click the field > Calculate Geometry

3) Select Length as the parameter and "Miles" in unit (Need to use a Pojected Coordinate System)

Think Location
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hmmm, yeah that is simpler. I like that one! (I forget there are some many different ways to do everything in ArcGIS!).

RickCheney

I just did did the steps as described and it worked perfectly. So easy!  Thank you so much for your help.