insert (raster,images) into blob in arcgis desktop ?

Jump to solution
04-02-2016 02:23 AM
AhmedAbdelnasser1
New Contributor III

Dear all ,

I searched  in all the questions and  googled  huge number of websites to get this and couldn't find any help

i want to store huge number of imgs in my database  as blob  how could i do that ?!

i know there is the raster type  and enabling attachment .. , but i want my data base to be sufficient , high  performance .

so please any  help ..

Thank you all..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesGough1
Esri Contributor

In the case of using a Personal Geodatabase, I would first recommend a File Geodatabase for size and performance.

In either case you can pull in your feature class with the blob field and edit the features, click on the image column and select load to pull in the specific image you want.

You can use this detailed instructions for  Updating attributes of type raster at ArcGIS Desktop

Steps:

1. Add to ArcMap a feature class containing a raster field.
  2. Click the Editor Toolbar button Editor Toolbar on the Standard toolbar.
  3. Click the Editor menu on the Editor toolbar and click Start Editing.
  4. Click the Edit tool Edit Tool on the Editor toolbar and click the feature.
  5. Click the Attributes button Attributes on the Editor toolbar.
  6. Click the attribute field containing the rasters.
  7. Click the drop-down arrow and click Load.
  8. Click the Input Raster Dataset browse button and navigate to the location of the raster dataset.
  9. Click Add.The dialog will close if the raster field is unmanaged and the image will be displayed in the Attributes window.
  10. If the raster field you created is managed, you can choose a compression method and value, then click OK.Since the raster dataset is being ingested into the geodatabase (because it is managed) it will be stored using this compression method.
  11. Once the raster is loaded as an attribute, you can view and perform other edits on it. Click the drop-down arrow for the raster field select one of the options in the menu.
    • Click View to open the raster in a larger window.
    • Click Load to load a different image as the raster attribute.
    • Click Clear to delete the raster attribute.
    • Click Save As to export the raster.
    • Click Properties to view and edit the properties of the raster.
  12. When you are done, close the Attributes window.
  13. Click the Editor menu on the Editor toolbar and click Stop Editing.

You can also edit the raster attribute from within the attribute table. You need to be in a edit session. Click the raster drop-down arrow in the row you want to modify, right-click in the window that appears, then click Load.

Thank You,
Jim Gough | Technical Lead Enterprise - Educational Services
Esri

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

searching the help files using .... blob ... produces many references, this is but one...

Data migration from one storage type to another—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

perhaps you could narrow down the environment you are working in and what software you have available.

Moving the thread to Managing Data​ to solicit more responses

JamesGough1
Esri Contributor

Storing imagery in the database was often done using the raster dataset.  This process would take the pixel values from you original image and store them in the database with keys for faster access.  Then it would create pyramids (reduced resolution views) of the data to quickly show the data when zoomed out.  The access to the data is fast once the process of converting the imagery and creating the pyramids is complete. 

Many folks have gone to using the imagery directly like in the Mosaic datasets, which points to the existing data and creates overviews (for quick display when zoomed out) in the database.  This makes the process of updating imagery much quicker since only the overviews need to be rebuild.

If you serve out the imagery in ArcGIS for Server and use Mosaic Datasets you would need to purchase the Image Extension for ArcGIS for Server.

You could also use ArcGIS Server by adding the imagery to a map and creating a map service or right clicking on the imagery to create an image service.  These services could then be cached (Pre-rendered Tiles stored).  It does not need an extension if the Mosaic Dataset is not used, but the Mosaic dataset is very helpful when working with Raster Data.

Here is a link in our help with more information:  Raster data organization—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Let me know if you would like to discuss this topic.

Thank You,

Jim Gough | Technical Lead Geodata - Educational Services

jgough@esri.com | esri.com

Thank You,
Esri
JamesGough1
Esri Contributor

In the case of using a Personal Geodatabase, I would first recommend a File Geodatabase for size and performance.

In either case you can pull in your feature class with the blob field and edit the features, click on the image column and select load to pull in the specific image you want.

You can use this detailed instructions for  Updating attributes of type raster at ArcGIS Desktop

Steps:

1. Add to ArcMap a feature class containing a raster field.
  2. Click the Editor Toolbar button Editor Toolbar on the Standard toolbar.
  3. Click the Editor menu on the Editor toolbar and click Start Editing.
  4. Click the Edit tool Edit Tool on the Editor toolbar and click the feature.
  5. Click the Attributes button Attributes on the Editor toolbar.
  6. Click the attribute field containing the rasters.
  7. Click the drop-down arrow and click Load.
  8. Click the Input Raster Dataset browse button and navigate to the location of the raster dataset.
  9. Click Add.The dialog will close if the raster field is unmanaged and the image will be displayed in the Attributes window.
  10. If the raster field you created is managed, you can choose a compression method and value, then click OK.Since the raster dataset is being ingested into the geodatabase (because it is managed) it will be stored using this compression method.
  11. Once the raster is loaded as an attribute, you can view and perform other edits on it. Click the drop-down arrow for the raster field select one of the options in the menu.
    • Click View to open the raster in a larger window.
    • Click Load to load a different image as the raster attribute.
    • Click Clear to delete the raster attribute.
    • Click Save As to export the raster.
    • Click Properties to view and edit the properties of the raster.
  12. When you are done, close the Attributes window.
  13. Click the Editor menu on the Editor toolbar and click Stop Editing.

You can also edit the raster attribute from within the attribute table. You need to be in a edit session. Click the raster drop-down arrow in the row you want to modify, right-click in the window that appears, then click Load.

Thank You,
Esri