Why do I get error of "Maximum number of connections to instance exceeded"?

Jump to solution
03-23-2016 08:58 AM
LuyangRen
New Contributor III

Hi,

I get this error "

Service started with errors

Data_xxxxx.MapServer:
GIS-PROD2.BUCKNELL.EDU
Instance of service 'Data_xxxx.MapServer' started with errors. Maximum number of connections to instance exceeded
GIS-PROD.BUCKNELL.EDU
Instance of service 'Data_xxx.MapServer' has been successfully created.

" when I change the "Maximum number of instances per machine" via server manager.

I am not sure if it is because we hit the max connection to the sde? If yes, how do we calculate the connections to the sde? And why do I get the error on one machine -"GIS-PROD2" instead of failing on two of the machines?

Or this is something else?

Thanks

Luyang

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can check the Process_Information table for the total number of connections to the geodatabase when you get the error. It will give you more details as to where the connections are coming from.

The Connections limit also depends on the type of SDE geodatabase that you are using:

• SDE Personal: 3 connections
  • SDE Workgroup: 10 connections
  • SDE Enterprise: 48 (till sde 10.0 gdb)

64 (starting from 10.1 sde gdb)

This parameter is set in the Server_config table in the database.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can check the Process_Information table for the total number of connections to the geodatabase when you get the error. It will give you more details as to where the connections are coming from.

The Connections limit also depends on the type of SDE geodatabase that you are using:

• SDE Personal: 3 connections
  • SDE Workgroup: 10 connections
  • SDE Enterprise: 48 (till sde 10.0 gdb)

64 (starting from 10.1 sde gdb)

This parameter is set in the Server_config table in the database.

LuyangRen
New Contributor III

Thank you Asrujit! This is helpful. It turned out that we do hit the limit of the connection. I heard 10.3 has no limitation on the sde and we are 10.2.2. So we plan to upgrade in the summer.

But, I sitll don't understand why only one server gave me this error and another one was fine with it.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Yes, starting from 10.3, the limit is by default set to 999999 (if I recall correctly).

However, you can increase this limit in 10.2.2 sde geodatabase as well. You do not need to upgrade the sde gdb, if this is the only requirement.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
0 Kudos