Editing subtypes in AGOL

04-03-2014 09:43 AM
MartieClemons
New Contributor II
We have a trees layer with over 200 subtypes (one for each tree species) in a field called NameType.  Each subtype changes six other fields: SPcode, Genus, Species, Cultivar, SciName and ComName.  We're creating a web app to allow editing for field crews with ToughBooks.  Currently the field only shows the subtype code plus there's no dropdown to pick other subtypes.  For editing to work properly, we need to be able to see a dropdown of all subtype descriptions (not codes, which are meaningless to users) and when one is picked, the other six fields should automatically change.  Does anyone know if this even possible with AGOL and if so, does it require custom code?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MicheleH_DNReply
New Contributor III

Sorry - no answer but this is exactly what I am trying to sort out as well.  No luck so far.  I'm just answering this in the hopes that it might trigger something at ESRI... maybe?  I'll tackle them about it directly after Christmas.

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

Is this an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service, or a you making the feature service available via your own ArcGIS Server instance? In case of the former - I don't know off the top of my head. In case of the latter it's possible but I need more info to help you out. In general I recommend making the code and the description identical because of the description-vs.-value issues you observe with some applications associated with ArcGIS Online.   

0 Kudos
MicheleH_DNReply
New Contributor III

Thanks for your help!  We are making the feature service available via our own ArcGIS Server.  For domains I do generally make the code and the description the same - I don't think that there are many instances where you actually need them to be different!

However in the case of a subtype field I don't think that I can as it won't give you the choice of using a field as a subtype if it's not a numeric field.  And the information it's representing is not numeric information.

Basically I have a field called ProposedExisting which holds (currently) either a 1 for Proposed and a 2 for Existing

I then have one domain to use for the FeatureType if a feature is classed as Proposed and another for if it is classed as existing.  The domains for the FeatureType is working in ArcGIS Online but not the drop-down list for ProposedExisting and - as you say it is only showing the 1 and 2 in this field as well.

Any ideas would be grand.

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

"However in the case of a subtype field I don't think that I can as it won't give you the choice of using a field as a subtype if it's not a numeric field.  And the information it's representing is not numeric information."

-->You're right, I forgot about that.

I do have an example very similar to yours working, though. When I have some more time I'll look into the details. I'm using ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1 QIP1. I remember that some of the apps like Collector had this issue for a while, but you're talking about just an ArcGIS Online webmap displayed in a web browser, right? 

0 Kudos
MicheleH_DNReply
New Contributor III

Hi Tobias,

Sorry I haven't got back to you - but it's just been Christmas hols here so - well, domains and subtypes haven't been on my mind!

"you're talking about just an ArcGIS Online webmap displayed in a web browser, right?"

Yes - that is correct.

Thanks again and I hope your Christmas was good - although a wee bit cooler than around these parts I hear!

0 Kudos
EricErtl
New Contributor III

Hi Michele,

Were you able to fix this issue with subtype values within ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
MicheleH_DNReply
New Contributor III

Not yet.  I've kind of got sidetracked from that particular problem.  We have someone creating a site for us and we'll look at it again for that.

0 Kudos
RamyaSriram
New Contributor

Hi Michele,

Were you able to fix this issue with subtype values within ArcGIS Online? If yes, please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramya

0 Kudos
Rebecca_Fong
New Contributor

If you symbolize the feature class based on the field that have a subtype, than it would populate for you.   Here is another link about subtype and collector.

Collector - Default Subtype Values

0 Kudos