How to add map lables to ArcMap legend?

Jump to solution
02-28-2016 06:40 AM
RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

I have some text labels on my map that I would like to add to the map legend, the legend that is automatically generated from the map layers.  I don't any option in the legend properties to add a symbol and description.  The image below shows the diamond shape with the number 52 that I would like to represent in the legend.

label.jpg

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RickCheney

I followed the step-by-step instructions in the link and I was able to get the symbol to show up in the legend but the symbol is 10 times larger than the other symbols and the number is missing.  I will keep working on this. Are you are able to recreate this on a blank map and resize the symbol so it appears the correct size in the legend?

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

It sound like you open either Data or Layout View is set to 10 time larger than other symbols. My question to you when you set the symbols before you convert it to the features. It looked like you did at 1:31,680 at either Data or Layout view ?

I wrote a blog of my experience and notice the different in symbol size last week or so here

Why are the symbols appear different in size in Data View or Layout View.

See if you can figure it out to nail it down . Let me know and if you get stuck ...Try to take a screenshot of it and put it here .

0 Kudos
RickCheney

Thank You Robert, Wes and Ajitkumar for your help.  Everybody was correct and it turns out that I was just making little stupid mistakes with various things.  In the end, I opened a blank map, set the CRS to the same as my good map.   Used the drawing tool to add a "Marker", it doesn't matter what kind of marker, size shape or color, just add a marker.  Right-click on the "New Data Frame" bold text at the top of the Table of Contents, select Convert Features to Graphics, and then in the bottom box I selected Shape file.  Then I closed the blank map without saving.  I opened my good map, added the shape file.  Set the Legend parameters to show Items that are on checked on the table of contents (un-check that box) and un-check the box for Only Show Classes that are visible in the current map extent.

Then I changed the symbol for the new shape file and picked a black diamond from the list of symbols. Then, I my map, I switched all the gold diamond text things to a standard black diamond marker.

Thanks again to everybody, I learned something from each answer and each step got me a little closer.

RickCheney

It seems like I need to figure out a way to convert the text box with number into a graphic or something which I can then save into a style file which I can then use to pick the "symbol" from??

0 Kudos
RickCheney

Thank you everyone for your help.  I'm still going to work on this and try your suggestions and advice but I can't get to it for a few more days.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

If you still have a trouble doing this, let us know.

RickCheney

Thanks, I have the ArcMap software on my desktop computer at home and I will be out of town until tomorrow but I plan to work on this when I get home.

0 Kudos
RickCheney

Thanks, I am still trying to figure this out. It looks like I should be able to do this with Convert Graphics to Features but I can't get the "features" to save. I added a reply above with screen shots. I appreciate the help, I'm sure it's something simple that I'm over looking.

0 Kudos