License Manager - Floating between different licence levels

03-04-2016 07:24 AM
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I would need some clarifications on licence manager.

On an ipothetical scenario I have let's say 10 basic licenses and 5 advanced, authorized on the same machine.

In the case that all the 5advanced are in use, may ArcMap use a basic one (dynamically) and the other way around as well?

Thanks.

10 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

The seat type is controlled from each client--the server just tracks what it has available. It can reserve and limit use of the mix of seats as needed using the options file but can not alter what the clients ask for.

You could script something to run on the clients to use the lmutil.exe lmstat call to test the license pool for available seat type (parse the return to count how many of the Advanced seats are in use), and then alter the clients identity -- changing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\License10.4  SOFTWARE_CLASS attribute value for the client from Professional to Editor or back as appropriate.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Stuart, quite a while back I remember seeing a KB or a forum thread that had the bat file that would allow to switch between the levels.  It may have even been written by you.  I looked thru all my bookmarks and couldn't find it.  Does that ring a bell to you?  We're running into a situation (due to server change with the LM10.4 upgrade)  that may need this functionality.  I'll keep searching my local drives when I get a time, but thought if you had a link to the thread, that would be helpful.

V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Rebecca Strauch, GISP

I know the thread discussing scripting it exists but the GeoNet full string search indexing has gone to hell. I can't find it.  No wait here they are... always a joy hunting for things in GeoNet

Automating the Change Version functionality in ArcMap

Change floating license without being local administrator

Change back to Single Use ArcView from ArcEditor

24633 - Change the ArcGIS Desktop seat type for Citrix or restricted permissions environments

Stuart

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks V Stuart Foote​  It was the "..without being local administrator" thread I was searching for.  I just never was able to get the right search string.

But the KB 24633 with the Citrix environment might be what I really need.  I need to digest the info and try once I get back in the office (after dev summ). I was also able to see the WordPress blog and will need to look more at that.

Thanks for tracking those down for me!

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Melita Kennedy

Thanks, but we can't get to that Wordpress blog, if you think it is germane--could you extract and post.

Stuart

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Melita Kennedy​ 

That wasn't the post I was looking for, but will look thru it and see it it will help too.

I was able to get the wordpress blog, but I know some agencies block those sites (I think I had to ask for a "waiver")

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

The easiest way is to create two small bat files, one for Adv license and one for Basic license.

Each file have a SET command (by KB 24633) and a call to ArcMap.exe

The user have both bat files on desktop. If s/he press the adv and fail s/he can press the other shorcut.

V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

That works, but requires a launch and a failure to obtain license, and launch again.  The user at the client has to manually do that.

What is needed is fallback.  For that you need to poll the license pool--determine what is available, and then present user the choice of license to check out--proceed or not. Put onus on the user to select the functional level they need not higher.

But, if the user needs Advanced seat or an extension and it isn't available, they need to track down who has them checked out and get them to close out and to give up the seat.  Kind of WHATLG's niche, which sits on each client desktop and polls the license pool for the information.

FlexNet Publisher provides the options file to give some granularity to control of the seats, allowing reservations--but that is controlled from the license pool by the admin. It provides no feedback to the users--all they know is they receive or don't receive license for the seat type or extension they request.