Server Directory Disabled issue

Jump to solution
02-17-2016 08:09 AM
ChrisAnderson
New Contributor II

I'm writing a mobile app and need to have access to the server directory in order to allow the user to choose which service they wish to load. The problem I am running into is that, because of security polices, some companies disable the directory. Is there another approach to accessing the server directory that the company can give access to my app? Thanks in advance.

Here is the error message returned when my app attempts to access the server directory.

Error: Services Directory has been disabled.

Code: 403

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chris, you might want to read thru some of the posts Michael Davis has had. He is a contractor that creted a mobile app fro one of the groups in our agency.  He had to deal with our secure services/SQL etc.

Sync upload errors when using token authentication

"No permissions to sync replica" error

Mainly it was using tokens and getting them to play nice with our system.  Although maybe not the same issue, it might help you figure out some options....but my guess is tokens and/or a proxy are going to be your best best.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Speaking from a ArcGIS Server Administrator point of view, if the Rest Services Directory is disabled, it is most likely because they don't want others to use their services directly.  This may be because of security reasons or due to their internal infrastructure not being able to handle a load from other apps.  By default, it is not blocked, so it would have had to be set.  Although there are ways you can sometime hack this info out of a service, I would highly recommend requesting permission from the service owner before using their service. (climbing down from my AGS Admin soapbox now)

If this is within your agency/office...I would talk to your AGS admin to see if there is a way to provide access.

ChrisAnderson
New Contributor II

All true. I agree completely. I probably should have explained that the app I'm writing is meant for a company to access it's own services. So maybe a better question is what solutions have other's tried. One idea I had was with the use of VPN and have them log into an internal server that they do have access to (I would hope that most would have an internal one). I just haven't gotten the VPN to work yet and wanted to know if there were other options before i went to far in the wrong direction.

I dug a little deeper and found that not only is the server directory disabled, but the Layer info is as well which prevents me from getting the symbology and everything. I'll also add that the application requirements are to use REST calls (GET and/or POST). Thanks.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chris, you might want to read thru some of the posts Michael Davis has had. He is a contractor that creted a mobile app fro one of the groups in our agency.  He had to deal with our secure services/SQL etc.

Sync upload errors when using token authentication

"No permissions to sync replica" error

Mainly it was using tokens and getting them to play nice with our system.  Although maybe not the same issue, it might help you figure out some options....but my guess is tokens and/or a proxy are going to be your best best.

0 Kudos
ChrisAnderson
New Contributor II

Thanks for your help. I went ahead and marked your answer as correct.

0 Kudos