How to manually edit attribute data onto a LiDAR point cloud using ArcGIS

01-20-2016 12:35 PM
Ricky-leeStevens
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am a new comer to ArcGIS. I have a LiDAR point cloud in .las format, collected using a ground based laser scanner, and I would like to manually edit four separate attribute data onto the point cloud. Essentially this means using the point cloud as a 'canvas' or base map onto which I want to add a bunch of data. For context, I used a camera to film chunks of ice breaking from the front of a glacier. The pieces of ice range in their location, timing, size, and shape. These individual attributes need to be edited onto the point cloud so that I can derive the real world location of the events, and visualize the spatial distribution of the events, and distributions of more than one attribute at a time. For example, it would be useful if I could compare the distribution of size and shape to see if they occur in the same / different locations. At the very basic level, I would really like to see the spatial distribution of the events. I was hoping that I could therefore keep each attribute as a separate layer, and click layers on and off depending on the analysis and question I have to explore data with.

Does anyone know how to manually edit a point cloud? I am a new comer to ArcGIS but learn quickly, especially if I have instructions to follow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks and warm wishes!

Ricky

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I presume you have seen the basic online help topic on las data?

What is a LAS dataset?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Displaying LAS datasets as points in ArcMap—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

they seem to skirt the issue of manually editing the data, but deal with reclassification, viewing etc

Then there is a related thread with more links and other suggestions

Re: Best practice to handle heavy elevation point data,

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
At the very basic level, I would really like to see the spatial distribution of the events. I was hoping that I could therefore keep each attribute as a separate layer, and click layers on and off depending on the analysis and question I have to explore data with.

Your description makes me wonder if you need to edit the point cloud, at all. Once you create your surface from the point cloud, you would simply overlay your events as feature class (point or polygon).

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

So your Point Cloud is captured by a horizontal scanner and not a vertical scanner (like from a plane, helicopter or drone). The processes you mention sounds like preprocessing of the point cloud, which is normally done by the vendor before you perform your analysis in GIS. Since you captured the point cloud yourself, you probably have to calibrate location and time for the cloud.

Most tools in ArcGIS are more suited for vertically captured Point Clouds. The reclassification that Dan mentions for instance is done by creating a profile view and selecting in this view the points to assign a new class. This workflow is described here: Working with LAS classification in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

There are additional tools in the 3D Sample tools, which you can download from this location:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=fe221371b77940749ff96e90f2de3d10

0 Kudos