Technical questions regarding ArcGIS Desktop

01-15-2016 03:53 PM
EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

I am currently making a chart with information of various GIS software/applications

I would like to know more information about ArcGIS Desktop as seen in the headings of this example chart:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15UI5xGYTOaM1lLNmZON1Z1MEE/view?usp=sharing

Pricing/License, Supported OSs,Windows Server 2008/Server Core Compatibility, Supported Applications, Pre-Backup Analysis, Schedulable, Scriptable, Reporting Options, Differential Backups, Virtual Machine Compatibility, Remote Administration, Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Compatibility.

table_01.gif

Where can I get this information?

Discussions Lobby

GeoNet Community Structure

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TommyKurniawan2
New Contributor

What you asking, is for creating chart like example ( in arcgis desktop ) or source/ detail info like your sample ?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eninna, besides checking out the links Dan provided, I'll try to fill in a few more of the blanks again.  I will break it up in a few responses and/or send the reply and continue editing so I don't keep losing it in my iPad.(geonet doesn't always recover my drafts...nothing you need to know, but others may wonder)

Pricing/License: this will depend on many factors...

• Type of organization...education, federal/state/local government (or other, especially if the have an enterprise licensing agreement  "ELA"...because they have a lot of licenses), private, and maybe if in/out of the US (not sure ab purchasing out of the US at all)

I will talk from my experience for the rest of this, I work for a state agency in the US, without an ELA

• Type of license: single-user or concurrent-use (of the core Desktop license) single use is loaded on one machine, but as many people as you want can access the license (one at a time of course) but you can have multiple sessions open on the same machine.  concurrent license can be on as many machines as you like, but floats between them, so if you have 2 licenses but 5 users/machines, any 2 user/machines can be used at a time. Concurrent license are more expensive to purchase and for annual maintenance, but better if you have a lot of part time users or if one person moves between machines. For example, we have 350 part time users that share about 50 license....and several that use a license 100 % of the time...I use multiple licenses, but can switch between 3-4 pcs, and 5 servers....so the concurrent license work well for us.
  • The Desktop licenses (and ArcGIS Pro) can be Basic (formerly called ArcView), Standard (ArcEditor) and Advanced (ArcINFO), and they are prices differently. Some features are only available at the Standard/Advanced levels, and if you get ArcGIS Server, you will want at least one ArcINFO (in my opinion). In our case, the majority of our concurrent (floating) licenses are ArcView, with
  • extensions typically cost the the same (both purchasing and maintenance) no matter which type concurrent or single user....but they must be the same as the core). I would recommend at least Spatial Analyst, but again you can have fewer than the core number, since you could have it just on a one if single-user or can be turned off/on easily...and takes users willing to turn off the extensions when they don't need it.  This is easier with the concurrent licenses (in my option)
  • Number of licenses:  as mentioned single-user are priced differently than concurrent use. In the past, concurrent use could only be sold thru Esri but  vendors/distributors could sell single user license..not sure if that is the case now...and if you purchase multiple, you may get a discount.  Typically the extensions vedors/distributors can sell those and may give a discount....worth checking out anyway.
  • annual maintenance varies for the cores depending on whether they are single-user or concurrent, and the first of any license is considered "primary" and the next 2-9 are "seondary" and follows this patterns for each ten licenses. Extensions are the same whether concurrent or singl, but follow the same 1-primary then 9-secondary.

BTW, If you are on maintenance, you also get the ArcPro licenses...the same number as the Desktop on current maintenance.

since this is getting long, I'll stop for this post with this response.  the main thing is you need to figure out what you need, and then talk to a customer service rep or distributor (or an authorized vendor possibly) before you will no the cost.  I hope this helps, and I'll try to add additional info in another post later