Tool to evaluate similar sounding street names

Jump to solution
12-16-2015 01:32 PM
DavidDenham
Occasional Contributor

I am looking for an application to compare proposed street name with existing street names and identify repeated street name or if the name sounds too much like an existing street name.  We are currently using a software package with a tool that uses a soundex algorithm to evaluate street names.  Does anyone have any suggestions for applications that we can use? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesGibson
New Contributor III

Are you looking for something similar to what I was asking/looking for?

Help finding similar sounding street names

I found an open source program that I edited for personal use. I can load a list of street names, and when I type in a name, it will use the soundex, or metaphone method depending on which option I choose, to find exact or similar sounding names.

Scroll to the bottom to see.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One possibility:

Check out this thread Spelling Sensitivity in Geocoding .  In it Bruce Harold (ESRI) suggests using the 10.x locators, as they are an improvement over 9.x, which used Soundex.

Now, as to how to actually implement them, we'd need someone more knowledgeable.  Also, many folks have the same requirements and may know of other options.

Joe Borgione

Addressing

Chris Donohue, GISP

JamesGibson
New Contributor III

Are you looking for something similar to what I was asking/looking for?

Help finding similar sounding street names

I found an open source program that I edited for personal use. I can load a list of street names, and when I type in a name, it will use the soundex, or metaphone method depending on which option I choose, to find exact or similar sounding names.

Scroll to the bottom to see.

0 Kudos