How to create an mxd using data in a pmf

Jump to solution
07-30-2012 03:07 AM
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
I've received a pmf with data, and since I have ArcGIS I would like to use the data and create an mxd.
I tried to drag the data over from ArcReader into ArcMap so the symbology would be retained but it will not allow me.
Is there any way I can create an mxd from the pmf, rather than having to add all the data and create the symbology for each individual layer.
Also I cannot view the symbology properties in ArcReader, which makes it even more difficult trying to work out what the symbology should be when adding it into an mxd.

many thanks

Rachel
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanEvans
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

The ability to open a .pmf file in ArcMap has to be specified when the file is published.

In the Publisher Settings dialog, on the Application tab, there is a check box: "Open in ArcReader only" which must be unchecked, and another: "Unrestricted access to contents of Published Map" ("Check this box to open the published map in any appropriate ArcGIS application") which must be checked.

These settings reset to default so you have to set them each time you publish a map.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Hola Rachel,

I wanted to make sure I had understood your recent post. You are able to directly add a .pmf into ArcMap or drag and drop it into ArcMap, and then save it as a .mxd. I was asking because I just tested this work flow in 10.0.5 & 10.1, and I am not able to add directly a .pmf file (unsupported data format). If I attempt to drag and drop the .pmf file directly into ArcMap, I receive an error, so if you would please let us know your work flow. Gracias, Rachel!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16565[/ATTACH]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JuanLuera
Hola Rachel,

Out of the box, we currently do not have a option or utility which would convert a pmf to a mxd. I would suggest posting this at our Ideas Portal or if you would like and you are current with your maintenance. You are able to log a webform, and we would log an enhancement with development on your behalf. Gracias, Rachel!

Support Service
1-888-377-4575
http://support.esri.com/en/webform/s...275/chat/false
ArcGIS Ideas
http://ideas.arcgis.com/
0 Kudos
RachelS
Thanks Juan,
I've posted this idea.
Rachel
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Perfecto!!

Have a Great Week!

Gracias, Rachel!
0 Kudos
RachelS
Just as an update to anyone viewing this thread.
I've discovered it is possible to just open ArcMap and add the pmf which can then be saved as an mxd.

Rachel
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Hola Rachel,

I wanted to make sure I had understood your recent post. You are able to directly add a .pmf into ArcMap or drag and drop it into ArcMap, and then save it as a .mxd. I was asking because I just tested this work flow in 10.0.5 & 10.1, and I am not able to add directly a .pmf file (unsupported data format). If I attempt to drag and drop the .pmf file directly into ArcMap, I receive an error, so if you would please let us know your work flow. Gracias, Rachel!
0 Kudos
RachelS
Hi Juan,

I'm using ArcGIS 10 if you open a blank Arcmap and and go File > Open, Under the Files of Type: at the bottom click the arrow and it gives you the option to change it to .pmf.
It opens the entire project as it is in ArcReader which you can then save as mxd.

You still can't drag and drop files though from ArcReader to ArcMap.

Enjoy
Rachel
0 Kudos
DanEvans
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

The ability to open a .pmf file in ArcMap has to be specified when the file is published.

In the Publisher Settings dialog, on the Application tab, there is a check box: "Open in ArcReader only" which must be unchecked, and another: "Unrestricted access to contents of Published Map" ("Check this box to open the published map in any appropriate ArcGIS application") which must be checked.

These settings reset to default so you have to set them each time you publish a map.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Hola Rachel,

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

Hope that helps,

Dan

You are correct Dan.  I just tested this with Juan, and those settings do allow the PMF to open in ArcMap.
0 Kudos