Can I create an image from JavaScript API to add to a PowerPoint or Word Doc?

12-07-2015 07:53 AM
JimSirianni
New Contributor

What I need to accomplish is to generate a map (client side) and highlight the county or zip code based upon geo locations that I have.

I also need to take that same map and generate an image that I can add to either a word or power point document.

Can this be done with ArcGIS?

I have tried with Bing and Google Maps and I am unable to create static images due to the url length.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jim,

Sure you just use a print service to generate the image of the map and return a url that you can use to get the image. This has been discussed several times on GeoNet in the JS Space:

Export the map to an image, client-side, for printing?

JimSirianni
New Contributor

How entailed is setting up the print service?  I can test with the demo's out there and it works fine. However it is using an ArcGis sample server url. 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jim,

If you have ArcGIS Server then you already have a print service available to you.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Jim,

You may have to go in to the admin portal and start the service - I can't remember if it's started by default.

JimSirianni
New Contributor

I am a total noob to ArcGIS.  I don't have a sever at this time and I am currently running on a dev trial to see if ArcGIS can accomplish what our business needs require.  I'm not sure what kind of cost that this will entail to have this server instance.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

You can always check out AGOL http://www.arcgis.com/features/plans/pricing.html

If you need to host on your own infrastructure, you can run ArcGIS for Server. A basic set-up for software only would run you 20k. This would give you a 4-core license - it's 5k for each additional core.

If you happen to package Esri with your product, like if you sell seats to a website which embeds ArcGIS Server maps and functionality, you may need an ASP license. A 4-core license for this would run about 40k.

Maintenance would run you about 10k/year (2500 per core). Keep in mind, you will also have expense in buying the server and for server maintenance. Additionally, you may need to spend some money on your network backbone.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Let me add an addendum - the quotes I gave were for commercial enterprises. As I understand, if you are an NGO or governmental organization, you may fall under a completely different pricing scheme... it's best to contact Esri directly.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

ESRI only seems to cut breaks with SMALL governmental orgs or fed departments. Otherwise, you're kinda lumped in with commercial clients. I asked the guy who handles our license negotiating and he said that setting up an enterprise license agreement between ESRI and our county wouldn't be worth it so we just continue to battle, line by line on the license agreements.

Anyways, I'm not saying don't look into it but just don't get your hopes too high.

0 Kudos
JimSirianni
New Contributor

Do they provide a hosting option?  The only need for the server we would have would be for the printing.  I highly doubt they will want to spend that kind of money on a server just to accommodate printing.

0 Kudos