Perform table join with ESRI For Office

11-12-2015 03:43 AM
OlaSvensson
New Contributor

I'm wondering if it is possible to perform a table join in Microsoft Excel with ESRI For Office (similar to what can be done in ArcMap)? I have an Excel-table with two columns: an ID-number and a short information-string. I would like to join this table with a layer published to ArcGIS Online from ArcServer. The layer published to ArcGIS Online contains polygons with ID-numbers corresponding to those in the Excel-file (stored as attribute-values). 

So, I'm able to create a "base map" in Excel, and I'm able to read the ArcGIS Online-layer to that map. But I'm uncertain where to go from here. I have tried using the add "From Excel"-tool on the map and selecting either a series of cells or the entire table and then selecting the "place type" of my imported ArcGIS Online-layer (which should work if I'm reading the documentation/help correctly), but the data-import fails consistently on every row in the excel-table.

Am I missing something here, or is this type of workflow not possible?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Ola,

Did you match up the ID number field from the hosted layer with the correct field containing the same ID in your table?  This is done on the Add data dialog...click Confirm location columns and use the drop-down to select the correct field.

maps_for_office_custom_locator.jpg

0 Kudos
JasonHinsen2
New Contributor

I am having the same problem and results.  When I select all the properties similarly to Ola's example, nothing shows up in the 'Current values:' or 'Expected values' examples for the field I want to join.  All the other fields in the spreadsheet give a preview of the contents except for the one I'm trying to join.

0 Kudos