Change shapefile layers to show latest updates in web apps

11-10-2015 02:18 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've worked with ArcGIS Desktop as a teacher in years past and now work for an educational non-profit. I've created an ArcGIS Online map with various shapefiles representing education service cooperatives areas and school district outline. Over the past year, schools have consolidated and moved service cooperative areas. I can pull the shapefiles into ArcGIS Desktop, make my corrections, but I'm unable to export the same shapefile back to ArcGIS Online for it to update my current web app. Each shapefile has custom pop-ups, built in to the map. Is there a way to overwrite the current shapefile with the modified shapefile built from ArcGIS Desktop, without having to recreate the entire map? I'm unable to name the shapefile as the original one that already exists that I have modified and add it back in to the Content section. Any advice would be welcome.

Trent

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Trent,

If you have an Advanced or Standard desktop license check out this thread:

Edit an ArcGIS Online Feature Service from ArcMap

Otherwise follow these steps:

• Make changes to the original shapefile at the Desktop level
  • Re-zip the shapefile (use the same name your originally used to publish)
  • Return to the item detail page for the Hosted Feature Layer and select the Overwrite button. 
  • Select the updated zipped shapefile and it will update the Hosted Feature Layer. 

Note that this will work as long as the attribute fields in the shapefile are the same as that of the hosted feature layer.  Also note that this process will overwrite any edits made to the layer in ArcGIS Online.  If you did in fact edit the layer in ArcGIS Online and you do not want to lose that information let me know as there are several additional steps you would need to perform prior to doing the Overwrite process.

Finally, I would suggest that you test this process before applying it to your "live" data.

Check out the section "Overwrite hosted feature layers"

Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Kyle