Solutions for Simple Geoprocessing for app?

11-09-2015 12:49 PM
ForrestKaye
New Contributor III

Hi all I'm trying to come up with a simple solution for running some geoprocessing for an app.  It seems like there could be many solutions but I am looking for simple cost effective solutions.  I am developing for a startup so cash is as tight as it gets.

The Problem:

Need to process point locations relative to polygon locations (simple contains or intersects) and return results for which polygons the points intersect.  This process could potentially be run many times per user/per day.  The results would be need to be stored in a database and used for profile info.

My thoughts thus far:

I would like to be able to just run the process against some server/service I am hosting online.  Results I had envisioned being stored in sql database outside of arcgis land.  Two thoughts of solutions:

1. Host feature service with ploygons, get locations from app, run process against feature service using runtime sdk.

2. Host feature service with polygons, get locations from app, run process again feature service using some sort of online geoprocessing (without setting up my own server, installing arcServer etc).

Does option 2 exist?  This thread make me think not. I have worked with android sdk for arcgis extensively for other projects but unsure this would be an elegant or financially viable solution, If I am using the sdk just for geoprocessing wouldn't I have to register every app for licensing?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Forrest

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BillChappell
Occasional Contributor II

Idea..

If you can do this as a model or python script, create a GP Service in ArcServer, I just did something similar but the final result is JSON, I didn't want to save files, as multiple users at the same time could be overwriting. Once done it's just a rest service endpoint.

Another option, like javaScript, use Leaflet, it can read the Esri services and there are options to post a shapefile on-line as it converts it to geoJson, and the process is just JavaScript.

0 Kudos
WallaceBezerra
New Contributor II

You can also use the geometryEngine's intersects method from the Javascript API. Just be careful with the number of geometries included in this operation, because all the processing wil be on the client side.

esri/geometry/geometryEngine | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

0 Kudos