Street Naming Convention

08-05-2015 11:19 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

i was curious if anyone on here knew if under the Local Government Data Model, does the street naming convention support the NENA CLDXF Standard?

Dave

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.....  

Has NENA actually decided on their standard or is it still interim?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DaveTenney

Joe,

sorry it took so long to reply...

yes as far as im aware of, CLDXF is a NENA Standard.

now im fully aware that the NENA Standards are often time viewed as only "best practice" and not a required standard.

Dave

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

At least from a cursory view, it looks like the CLDXF is the NENA finalized standard:

NG9-1-1 Civic Location Data Exchange Format - National Emergency Number Association

Now, as to whether it is a good/workable standard, I'll let the experts weigh in on....

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm no expert; the data I manage is just used to dispatch about 3,000 9-1-1 calls daily in two different PSAPs.... Here are a couple take-aways from the NENA document:

This standard describes a data exchange format.  Authorities that use a different format internally will be required to use the data format outlined in this document for data exchange.

NENA reserves the right to modify this document.

As this is a major change to the system, adoption of this standard will take several years.

If an  Authority chooses not to change its local data formats, funds will be needed to develop software capable of converting the local format to the standard data exchange format.

Street Name Elements: they describe in detail 8 elements needed and how they must be parsed but...

Every complete street name must have a Street Name element; all the other elements are optional. (No complete street name is likely to include all eight elements.)

There are 127 pages to peruse for more details. It doesn't exactly read like Game of Thrones, but for address geeks like me there are some moments of intrigue and drama. In another discussion of the same topic I provide a list of 'core' attributes. [ Addressing Standards - getting started ] Take them for what they are worth; you should see some similarities between them and NENA.

Chris Donohue

Kelly Green

DaveTenney

all,

i was looking in the data dictionary for the local govt data model and they only have one field for streets, "full street name"

doesnt seem to have any support for the cldxf fields like...

Street Name Pre Modifier

Street Name Pre Directional

Street Name Pre Type

Street Name Pre Type Separator

Street Name Post Type

Street Name Post Directional

Street Name Post Modifier

dave

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That seems kind of weird doesn't it?!  I don't use the ESRI model, so I'm not sure where those items would be.  Perhaps others who do [ colleague Jeff Ward​ ] can chime in....

[edit]  Dave-  if you dig deep into the data dictionary "Tables, (Object Classes)" and scroll down to "MasterStreeName" you'll find them, although I haven't yet figured out which relationship class the features and that table would use....

JeffWard

The MasterStreetName table is used to populate the full street name in the centerlines feature class.  The best thing to do is download the Address Data Management template and mess around with it.  Watch the video on that page to see it demonstrated by Scott Oppmann  The template won't let you add a street name in the centerlines feature class unless there is an entry in the MasterStreeName table.  They have workflows that help you and make assigning addresses more automated.

I'm not sure about the standards for NENA.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor

Jeff Ward is correct, all the road name elements are contained in the MasterStreetName table.  The Address Data Management map creates a full street name when you add the individual elements to this table.    The Attribute Assistant and construction tools in the Address Data Management solution then uses the full name in the MasterStreetName table when you assign new road centerlines and site addresses  (no geodatabase relationship is required).

I looked at the cldxf reference and only find two rare street name elements that are not included:

Street Name Pre Type

Street Name Pre Type Separator

You can certainly extend the MasterStreetName table to include these elements in your full street name if you have these elements in your community. 

You'll see these workflows illustrated in detail in the video on the solution site.

DaveTenney

thanks guys for all the help!

greatly appreciated.

Dave

0 Kudos