Aerial Images

Jump to solution
08-12-2015 06:34 AM
KevinDunkin1
New Contributor III

I am managing and updating an existing ArcPad system and layers. Field workers are currently using '07 imagery and I would like to deploy them with the most recent images I have in the gdb which is '13.

The '07 image is a .tif file which I'm guessing is a Geotiff and in my attempts to replicate such a file structure with the '13 images I cannot load them into ArcPad. I have the '13 saved as a 3 band raster dataset in a .sde database. I have tried a few different  workflows and settings for each all within ArcMap Desktop. These include: (1)Exporting the map in Data View, (2) right-click the raster layer and exporting the data, (3) geoprocessing with the copy raster tool.

They all run successfully and create .tif .tfw. .aux.xml .ovr files but when I open ArcPad on desktop I have not been able to open any of the tif images. I get either Error 8 or an Error 0.

Does anyone know what these errors mean?

How do I fix them?

Is there a better way to transferring my 3 band raster dataset into a tif so that it fits on an SD card and loaded into a netbook?

Obviously it should be implied but I'll make it a point that it needs to draw quickly when panned and be able to zoom in as much as possible and still keep as much detail as possible. I'm looking for a level where I can see houses, buildings, manholes, car tops, sidewalks. A loss in quality is expected of course but to make out these items as best as possible with a file size as small as possible.

Update: Exporting the map from dataview via File>Export Map ended up working as a tif file, despite several other failed attempts  with this same method.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinDunkin1
New Contributor III

I think it was a projection issue, I reconfigured settings in method Data View>File>Export Map and saved as a tif. This method was the only way to write a Geotif tag and world file so whatever projection information was written appropriately to the image. I used a LZW compression and cranked the DPI to upwards of 15000 and my resulting file was under 4GB and able to open in ArcPad with great resolution and decent load/rendering time.

Thanks for your help!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

My preferred method for exporting images in ArcGIS is to choose the layer in the TOC, right click, and select Export Data. On the export raster data dialog, be sure to choose Use Renderer (the default is usually for this to be unchecked). Here is a screenshot of a sample i just exported.

raster conversion.png

You may have already been to this page (because your using tif's - which is ideal!) but for reference to others - this ArcPad help topic is the gospel on choosing rasters for ArcPad  - ArcPad Help

KevinDunkin1
New Contributor III

I've used this method before and have tried again since seeing your post, and I am unable to open the resulting tif in Arcpad 10. I use a much larger cell size in order to reduce the file size to under 5gb. When adding layers in Arcpad it prompts me with an error:

Have you seen something like this before. I cannot find any literature on such errors

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin

This is an ArcPad question.  See this previous post which may be helpful Arcpad Raster  or try posting your question on ArcPad

Cody B.

0 Kudos
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kevin

Your screenshot hints at all the right steps ie:

- try it on desktop ArcPad (which means all the extensions are on by default)

- the file path is not a network location (sometimes this can cause trouble)

Since you are on the desktop, file size shouldn't be an issue so maybe try the default cell size. COuld it be a projection issue? Perhaps try opening the image on its own in ArcPad without the other layers.

Regards, Marika

0 Kudos
KevinDunkin1
New Contributor III

I think it was a projection issue, I reconfigured settings in method Data View>File>Export Map and saved as a tif. This method was the only way to write a Geotif tag and world file so whatever projection information was written appropriately to the image. I used a LZW compression and cranked the DPI to upwards of 15000 and my resulting file was under 4GB and able to open in ArcPad with great resolution and decent load/rendering time.

Thanks for your help!!

0 Kudos