ArcScene - Problems Exporting.avi

04-21-2010 10:40 AM
rebeccanathan
New Contributor
I am trying to export an animation from ArcScene, however every time I try to do this ArcScene crashes.  I am using all the default options when saving the file, and am at a loss as to how I can produce an .avi file for a public presentation.  Any advice?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
LauraPurves
New Contributor
I have been having the same problem in ArcScene and ArcGlobe. 

Question - are you using Windows 7?  I found that ArcGIS has been acting strangely since I switched.  I have saved everything to a network drive, gone to another department and exported my videos from a computer that has XP.  I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not.
0 Kudos
rebeccanathan
New Contributor
Yes, I'm running 7.  I had the same problem when I tried it on my laptop, which runs Vista.  I'm not sure I have access to any computers that have both the license I need and XP.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
LauraPurves
New Contributor
I'm not sure how much help that was!  I have been searcing around trying to find a solution for this.  Nothing yet.  I never had the 'joy' of having Vista.  I went straight from XP to 7.  Do you have trouble searching your helpfiles too?

I wonder if anyone else is having this problem - you are the first person I have heard of.
0 Kudos
LauraPurves
New Contributor
I wanted to repy to this that my problem has been resolved.  Unfortunately, we were never able to pinpoint exactly what was causing it.

Basically, I was the only person in the office having problems with Windows 7.  I had Windows 7 professoinal, while everyone else had Windows 7 Enterprise.  My computer has been reformatted and Windows 7 Enterprise was installed along with ArcGIS.  Obviously it's hard to say which (if either) was causing the problem.  Apparently there were a whole bunch of registry issues.

I wish I could be more specific - but I hope this helps anyone who might be troubleshooting the same problem.
0 Kudos
ToreBorvik
New Contributor III
I painfully succeeded in saving an avi from arcscene (about 4 minute movie). It crashed a lot of times before I managed to do it. My solution was to find the pc available with the most free ram possible, shut down all other programs, and not touch anything while it exported...
0 Kudos
LauraPurves
New Contributor
Tom, what type of compression were you using?  I found that the only thing that wouldn't crash ArcGlobe immediately was "uncompressed", however the videos weren't viewable.  Every other type of compression immediately crashed ArcGlobe.  The classic "unknown error".  As I said, the problem has been solved now.  (fingers crossed)
0 Kudos
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor
All,

FYI: at 10, the exporting experience has been expanded to allow you to export sequential frames to a folder, which can be converted into a single video file as a second process (engine service). Another new feature when exporting is frame based video export.

The 'export sequential frames to a folder' workflow allows you most freedom in post processing. Take out frames, insert custom frames with text etc. I then use QuickTime Pro to stitch all frames to gether and export to mp4 with H264 codec compression for best quality and smallest file size.

Regards Gert

3Dteam.
0 Kudos
tung_kaiwong
New Contributor
I am using ArcGIS Desktop 9.2 on Windows 7 Professional. I am having the same problem when export video as .avi in ArcScene, where I have lost all video output, blank and black image, although video export is successful.
I tried to export in another computer, Windows XP Professional SP3, and am having no problem.
I am using Cinepak Codec by Radius for both computer, but as mentioned, it doesn't work in Windows 7.
Could anyone advise, please?
0 Kudos