Does ArcGIS Online support the geodatabase?

Jump to solution
07-28-2015 04:36 PM
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

I have a simple 10.2.2 file geodatabase (tried 10.3.0, same results) with one polygon feature class, metadata, some domains, and subtypes based on one of the fields with a domain.  I generated it brand new by copy/pasting the feature class from a 10.2.2 enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server, so it's not likely to be corrupt.  ArcGIS Online and Open Data variously ignore the domains and subtypes when I try to either upload the zipped fGDB as a "File Geodatabase" item or publish from ArcMap as a "Feature Layer (Hosted)" item.  The ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Online Help have not yielded any guidance that would get my fGDB into AGO successfully.

So...  have any of you come up with workarounds, incantations, or any undocumented secrets for success?

thx!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimMinter

Progress!  The June 2016 AGO release is showing promise toward supporting feature services that are published from the geodatabase structure.  In brief initial tests, the Data tab in the Item Description is respecting and displaying my feature class, the 1:M related table, and the M:N related table.  The subtypes appear to be respected, and the correct domains for the subtypes appear to be respected.  Sounds like it might be time for another run at this...

Thanks Esri-folks!

tim

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I assume that you have seen this list?  What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
TimMinter

indeed I have over several years now.  Today, among other things, it says:

• File geodatabase (.zip)—If you publish a hosted feature layer, only feature classes (x,y features only), tables, attachments, and relationship classes will be published.

There seem to be gaps between what it says and what I experience.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yeah... this Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS doesn't say much either...except for the tip #1

or this... way at the bottom Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
TimMinter

Thanks for the links, Dan.  Present-day system documentation seems to have been re-cast in an Apple-esqe manner to highlight the happy path and remove as much "what could possibly go wrong and how to resolve" information as possible.

My next steps are:

• Try it from ArcGIS Pro.  Expect the attempt to fail, because it's likely an ArcGIS Online issue.
  • Try symbolizing in ArcMap based on the subtype, then publish to "Feature Layer (Hosted)" item.  I saw somewhere in the forums that this may help a bit, but may be an unsupported feature based on what the recent documentation does not say.
  • Ignore prodding questions like "yeah, but what if the service becomes wildly popular and you need it to scale?", then go ahead and publish to our local ArcGIS for Server site, then add to AGO, then see how Open Data reacts to all of the geodatabase being available in the local feature service.  Lay down a "availability doesn't scale beyond a certain point" note in the SLA.
  • Contact tech support
  • Formulate alternate plan

I'll report back with what ends up just working.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ha ha   Good luck... like the Apple-esque reference... reporting from my iThingy

0 Kudos
TimMinter

Results :  Try it from ArcGIS Pro

• Complete the Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro training (good info)
  • Read the instructions
  • Confirm my AGO account has Publisher or higher permissions
  • Follow the instructions (happy path)
  • total records:  92 polygon features
  • name > agptest, layer type > features, summary > GDB to AGO-OD via AGP 1.1.0, tags > agptest
  • Analyze > No errors or warnings found.
  • Publish > Staging failed > no further information readily available.
  • Searched, found another with same problem, not answered yet.
  • That's a wrap.  Close AGP.  Wait for next release.
0 Kudos
TimMinter

Results :  Try symbolizing in ArcMap based on the subtype...

• Found a hint from Tyler Black​ that symbolizing on subtypes may add some special sauce to the whole experience that could trick AGO into supporting geodatabases.
  • Enterprise geodatabase 10.2.2 feature class in SQL Server 2012, followed ArcMap 10.2.2 instructions for publishing, symbolized on subtype, created a feature template, published successfully.
  • AGO, added the "feature layer (hosted)" item to a new map and investigated.  popups worked as expected, GDB field aliases were used, domain values were presented instead of codes... except for fields that are ordered after the subtype field.  The trailing fields display the descriptions from the domains that are assigned  to the default subtype when they should display the descriptions from the domains based on domain that is assigned to the relative subtype.  smelling a little buggy.
  • OD table displays the same mis-reporting of the data.   OD Data Report suspects something ain't up and throws a couple of warnings as:

Warning: Values (3) in the field Org3Acronym could not be found the the associated domain.

Warning: Values (3) in the field Org3Name could not be found the the associated domain.

• From "Feature Layer (Hosted)" item, EXPORT > Export to FGDB, then download "File Geodatabase" item from AGO to local, inspect with ArcMap 10.2.2. Findings:  The subtypes are not present.  The domains that were not used by the default subtype are not present. 
  • The integration from AGD to AGO has removed integral parts of the geodatabase.
  • That's a wrap.  moving out of the cloud for the next try.  bye bye, blue sky.
0 Kudos
TimMinter

Results:  ArcGIS Server site + Open Data

• as usual, followed the instructions for doing this.
  • Did not register the enterprise geodatabase with the ArcGIS Server site in order to force conversion to a file geodatabase managed by ArcGIS Server.  Hopefully this somewhat mimics the workflow from eGDB to feature layer (hosted).
  • Published with map service capability only, with data copied to the server.
  • AGO added the locally managed map service as a "Map Image Layer" item, then added to new map and investigated.  popups work properly, all the way around (wee progress , suggests a valid geodatabase), the table does not respect the fields with domains relative to subtypes as in the last try.  hmm.
  • AGO added the locally managed map service as a "Feature Service" item (just added "/0" to the URL to grab the only layer in the map service).  popups work just fine again, all proper.  The table remains confused by subtypes.
  • OD is taking a long time to realize that both of the items have been shared to it, even with "Update Index" prodding.  I need a "Patience" button...  twiddle thumbs...  ok, I'm back.  OD recognized both items after awhile.  OD table remains confused by the subtype for both the map service and feature service items.
  • ArcGIS Server appears to have sufficient geodatabase support to deliver the data respecting the subtypes.  The AGO default map app popup code supports subtypes, but its table viewer code does not.  The OD table viewer code does not support subtypes.
  • That's a wrap.  I think I'll just skip to the alternate plan step.
0 Kudos
TimMinter

Findings:  AGO & OD do not appear to support geodatabase subtypes today.

Results:  Devise alternate plan.

Hopefully talking myself through this problem out loud in GeoNet helps others get where you're going or avoid burning time tracing my steps to failure.  Click a "Helpful" button if it was.

-----------------

Edit 7/31/2015:  More details - Esri staff have contacted me to review the errors I'm experiencing.  We have identified the ArcGIS Online default map viewer table tool and the Open Data table tab as presenting incorrect data when using services that have my source geodatabase feature class, domains, and subtypes in them.  The ArcGIS Online default map viewer popup presents the correct information under these conditions.  The development teams for both have been notified.