ArcGIS Javascript API license question

07-10-2015 07:28 AM
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey everybody,

Once you buy an ArcGIS Desktop license, it comes with an ArcGIS Online Organizational account and 100 credits. If a company just buys one of those ArcGIS Desktop license, would they be able to use the ArcGIS Javascript API to built web applications or would you need to purchase a server license or a ArcGIS Online developer account?

I appreciate any input!

Tim

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshHevenor
Occasional Contributor II

I am not an ESRI lawyer, but there's nothing technical stopping you from using the JavaScript API with your own data. You'll need arcgis server to publish your own data as certain services, but you can use your own KMLs, CSVs,  WMS/WMF services, etc. overlayed on ESRI, Bing, OpenStreetMap, etc.  tiles basemaps.

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Thanks for the insight Josh.

I was just wondering, because it is easy to create data in ArcGIS Desktop, publish it to your ArcGIS Online account and then consume it via a javascript application. Before ArcGIS Online you depended on a server license to publish your data, but now it is pretty easy.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tim,

Was the answers in this thread not what you were looking for?

ArcGIS Javascript API on personal website?

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Robert,

the other thread was in regards to non-commercial use, but thanks for bringing it up since I forgot to mark an answer and just let it hang there.

Tim

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I have asked Jim Barry​ about exactly that at DevMeetups. His response was as long as you are not using the site to make a profit. And he was okay with me publishing on my personal site for providing free examples or tutorials.

I tagged him to ensure that I stated everything correctly.