lines in exported PDF and printed map

07-02-2015 08:43 AM
MelanieShy
New Contributor

I have suddenly gotten this bar through my exported PDF map and when I print the map.  I doesn't appear in print preview  or in the view.  I have attempted to change the printer settings for PDF and the printer, however it doesn't change anything.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

Is it possible for a layer that is hidden to be set for print only.

If not, here are a few possibilities that you can try:

What To Do When A PDF Document Will Not Print Correctly | Iceni Blog

Incorrect printing results printing from a PDF file

Troubleshoot PDF printing | Acrobat, Reader

JohnWarden
New Contributor III

Do you need to control visibility of the layers in the exported PDF? If not, try printing to the PDF via a program like CutePDF, rather than exporting. I believe its free.

0 Kudos
MelanieShy
New Contributor

I have tried printing it straight from ArcMap with PrimoPDF and it does the same thing.  It's doing this when I export it or print from ArcMap. 

0 Kudos
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

If you panned the view and printed it would the bar appear in the same place relative to the underlying map. In other words, does it move with the map,or does it appear in the same place on the page regardless of map view?

MelanieShy
New Contributor

yes it is in the same place.  I actually rotated the view and it is in the same place.  I've turned off all the layers and exported and it's still there.  I've figured out that it Is only in this project so looks like I'm going to start over and see if I can figure out where it goes crazy.  Will post new results.

0 Kudos
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

Another thought. If you were to print the map layer-by-layer, i.e., turn off a layer and print; turn off another layer and print, and so on, does the bar remain or does it disappear with a particular layer?

0 Kudos
TimLohnes
New Contributor II

Try printing to .ai and then using Illustrator to save as .pdf. AI exports are much cleaner than .pdf exports.

If you don't have Illustrator, try a conversion site like zamzar.com

0 Kudos
TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

I have not had experience with a bar appearing but I have had the problem of green lines appearing. Maybe it is related? The green lines have been discussed on geonet a few times: ex. Weird lines appearing on my layout view in ArcMap  green mystery lines in layout view

Hopefully those links might give you some ideas about how to fix your mystery bar problem.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having this issue in ArcPro. When I export as a PDF, black lines grid the map. When I export to JPEG, the black lines are not there. I've tried difference basemaps - when I use ESRI basemaps there are fewer blacklines as when I use a NAIP 2016 raster file. Haven't figured out a fix other than to export as a format that I don't really want.  

0 Kudos