ArcGIS Online Zoom Extent

06-11-2015 09:24 AM
danielmoore5
New Contributor II

Hello all -

I'm working on publishing some GIS maps from ArcGIS Online's local government templates and I'm having an issue. I'm working on the Special Event Planning template and also the Campus Editor Template. After publishing my map as a service I'm not able to zoom in past 1:1128 in the map viewer. I'm trying to zoom in pas the building extent so that we will be able to edit and see rooms within buildings.

I've noticed that when I open the Campus Place Finder App, you can zoom in a lot further than 1:1128. Does anyone know how I can get my web map in ArcGIS online to zoom in past the building extent? Does this need to be done in ArcMap before I publish or does this need to be done after I publish the web map?

Thanks!

6 Replies
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

If the layer in ArcMap was set up with a min/max extent (viewable scale levels), which is standard good practice for the most part, then yes - those settings will be incorporated into the published webmap layer as well.  If you go into ArcMap and clear the settings (or better yet, adjust them), then you should be able to zoom in closer.

0 Kudos
AlisonWalker
Occasional Contributor

So the 1:1128 seems to be pretty standard when working with the ArcGIS Online background layers, so they must all be configured to have that same min/max extent. So if you want to be able to zoom in closer than that, do you need to use a non-standard background?

Thanks,

Alison

0 Kudos
danielmoore5
New Contributor II

Yeah, I was thinking it was something with ArcGIS online because my layers extents are all set to none for the most part.

Aerial background is probably what I need.  Is there any way to change this in ArcGIS online since the problem is there?  I know there are a few web apps that allow the zoom to go further into building rooms for the placement finder.

Thanks!

Daniel

0 Kudos
ToddBlanchette

Yea, now that I understand your issue a little better, you're not able to zoom in further because your basemaps have reached their maximum allowed zoom level.  There is no way to change this as they are pre-generated cached tiles created and supplied by ESRI.  If you create your own image service and use it as a background, you can then use the dynamic layer, or cache it using your own zoom levels.

This is a conversation from earlier about the same issue, for further reading if you're interested.

Is there a way to change the zoom levels. so that one can zoom in beyond 60ft/20m

Cheers!

KathleenWallis

I attended the Road Ahead - ArcGIS Online session at the ESRI user's conference. During their presentation (Andrew Stauffer and Paul Ross) it was revealed that ArcGIS Online would have two closer Zoom levels by "3rd Quarter". Can someone give me an approximation what month that would be?
Thank you,
Katy

0 Kudos
danielmoore5
New Contributor II

Depending on when their fiscal year starts, but lets say it starts in April.  It'd be 9 months after April.

By January

0 Kudos