Collector - Default Subtype Values

Jump to solution
04-09-2015 08:14 AM
JacquelineKovarik
New Contributor III

I'm working on a Collector application and have specified a number of subtypes in my geodatabase. I do not have any default values specified globally for the database's fields, but do have default values specified within each subtype for many of the fields (see image below).default_value_subtypes.JPG

The problem is that I do not see these default values for any subtype in Collector 10.3 on my iOS device.

I've monkeyed around a little more and found that if I specify a default value for the field (not within the subtype), it appears in Collector (see image below). But I want to be able to specify differing default values based on whichever subtype the user picks...

field_defaults.JPG

Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JacquelineKovarik
New Contributor III

Hi Justin,

Here's what Esri had to say:

"I was able to reproduce the issue and had been trying to find out a reasonable explanation for the behaviour. It seems like, the Collector for ArcGIS doesn't right away populate the default subtype value in the field. Instead, it prompts to select the type value first and then lets presents you the related table edit form for editing other field values.

Now, the behaviour is different from what we observe in ArcMap when creating a related record. I had a conversation with Dev in this regards and they have termed this to be an expected behaviour. According to them, the related table would present all the possible types as defined on the related table REST endpoint and would prompt the client to choose the type first.

I understand that although this has been considered as an expected behaviour, I understand that it might prove to be a snag in the project that you are working on. The user experience and the functionality should be same across all the platforms. This can however be portrayed as an enhancement to the app. I can go ahead and submit an enhancement on this specific behaviour. Would really appreciate if you could send over the following details in support of the request:

1. Business justification.
  2. No. of people affected.

I would include this in the enhancement request to present a concrete use case. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. We can even schedule a phone call as per your convenience."

I work in a large organization and have a large user group that are requesting this functionality so will make an enhancement request to Esri. In my world, enhancements are usually at the bottom of the "to-do" list and bug fixes get the priority, so who knows if this enhancement will ever be incorporated into Collector. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JustinRoberson
New Contributor III

Hi Jacqueline,

I've seen the same problem in my own testing. If I use subtypes with a feature class and include some default values within the subtype then those are translated into Collector. If I use subtypes in a related table and use default values within the subtypes then those are not translated into Collector.

My testing seems to show that default values within a subtype only work with feature classes and not with tables.

To make things more complicated when I download a file geodatabase of my dataset then anything that used a subtype has that information removed and any domains that were used only within a subtype have also been removed. Any domains that were applied to a field in general are still there however. Odd behavior for sure.

JacquelineKovarik
New Contributor III

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the additional information. This is a frustrating issue and I've contacted Esri support to get their input. I'll reply back with what I find out.

Jacqueline

JacquelineKovarik
New Contributor III

Hi Justin,

Here's what Esri had to say:

"I was able to reproduce the issue and had been trying to find out a reasonable explanation for the behaviour. It seems like, the Collector for ArcGIS doesn't right away populate the default subtype value in the field. Instead, it prompts to select the type value first and then lets presents you the related table edit form for editing other field values.

Now, the behaviour is different from what we observe in ArcMap when creating a related record. I had a conversation with Dev in this regards and they have termed this to be an expected behaviour. According to them, the related table would present all the possible types as defined on the related table REST endpoint and would prompt the client to choose the type first.

I understand that although this has been considered as an expected behaviour, I understand that it might prove to be a snag in the project that you are working on. The user experience and the functionality should be same across all the platforms. This can however be portrayed as an enhancement to the app. I can go ahead and submit an enhancement on this specific behaviour. Would really appreciate if you could send over the following details in support of the request:

1. Business justification.
  2. No. of people affected.

I would include this in the enhancement request to present a concrete use case. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. We can even schedule a phone call as per your convenience."

I work in a large organization and have a large user group that are requesting this functionality so will make an enhancement request to Esri. In my world, enhancements are usually at the bottom of the "to-do" list and bug fixes get the priority, so who knows if this enhancement will ever be incorporated into Collector. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though!

JustinRoberson
New Contributor III

Hi Jacqueline,

Thanks for taking the time to post a response. This is most helpful but I also find this to be more of an unexpected behavior and not a bug, but I'm not the one designing the software! Hopefully we can get Esri to see the light and make this change.

Thanks again,

Justin

0 Kudos
PaigeLester1
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
PaigeLester1
New Contributor III

Domains and subtypes have been a standard piece of the ESRI geodatabase model for some time now. Either ESRI is going to support subtypes or not, and they need to be transparent about whatever decision they make. Supporting something 50% that has been around for over 15 years does not help the ESRI user. The behavior is "expected" because the time was not taken to correctly code subtype functionality to work with ArcGIS Online. Whatever is shared to AGOL should be able to come back out without being changed, otherwise ArcGIS Online is not a benefit.

GrahamMisselhorn2
New Contributor II

Hi, did this issue have a resolution? This has a very significant impact now on our migrated solution to use related tables so that it provides a more holistic view of the history of asset inspections. You have to love the distinction between "unexpected behaviour" and "bug".

LizLahey
New Contributor II

I'm also curious whether there are any plans to change this expected behavior. I'd like to use subtypes with default values in a related table with Collector, but it appears that this still isn't possible. Any updates on if/when this functionality might become available? Thanks!

GelcysWilliams
New Contributor III

Bumping again as it's a year later and I'm researching this issue - why can't see see subtype descriptions in collector?!?

0 Kudos