Converting ITRF 2005 to WGS84 Arc Map 10.2.2

04-28-2015 06:01 AM
ALIHash1
New Contributor II

I have a excel file with xy coordinates for points in the ITRF 2005 format. I am trying to convert the xy coordinates to the WGS 84 xy coordinates any ideas how i can go about this. I added the excel file to the map, added xy points and created a shape-file of the locations of xy in the ITRF 2005 Geographic coordinate system but having difficulty trying to convert it to WGS 84 and ideas as i have tried transformation and then projecting it to  WGS84 UTM Zone 35S but the values don't match up.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ali,

I am considering that you have a point shapefile in ITRF 2005 coordinate system, & UTM_35S is the correct UTM zone for your study area.

Now, open a blank map, Define the dataframe's coordinate system to WGS84 UTM Zone 35S.

Add the above data to ArcMap. Right-click the layer > Data > Export Data. Use the same coordinate system as the data frame.

N.B.: ITRF is a GCS (unit: Degree Decimal)

UTM is a PCS (unit: meters)

Thus, the values' range of the extents would differ.

Think Location
ALIHash1
New Contributor II

HI Jayanta,

I have tried what you told me and have checked the projections and the on line help but still unable to convert the XY values to show up as WGS 84. I have the table but unable to send it through here how can i attach it here.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You need to create a new discussion in order to attach the table.

Note: zip the table before attaching.

Think Location
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'd try Jayanta's idea. 

However, if after trying it you find your data is not ending up where you expected it, check out this recent thread as there are many potential ways things can go awry in bringing in X,Y data:

Importing GPS Coordinates from Excel into ArcMap

One you get the data in correctly and it lines up with your expectations, you can use Jayanta's process to finish it out.

Chris Donohue, GISP

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The various ITRF and WGS 1984, particularly the more recent ones, should be equivalent within centimeters, certainly sub-meter, so you shouldn't need a geographic/datum transformation at all.

Melita