Connection property error when registering SQL server as data store

Jump to solution
04-03-2015 09:22 AM
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

I am trying to register a SQL DB with my server, but getting the following error:

The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized. Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications software that is not compatible with the SQL Server database server.

DataStoreError.png

This is similar to Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications​, but I am pretty sure I have the same versions. Here are the SQL Server applications installed:

Installations:

ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3

ArcGIS for Server 10.3

SQL Server 2012

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

The SQL Server Native Client bit level doesn't depend on the Application, but rather the OS bit level. So, that may not be the issue here.

What kind of Authentication are you using to register the database (Windows Authentication or Database Authentication)?

Try using a Database Authenticated login and check if you still face this issue.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
TravisSaladino
Esri Contributor

Make sure the native client is the SQLServer2012_NativeClient_64 version for the 64-bit ArcGIS Server client. ArcGIS Desktop will need the 32-bit version. The programs and features list won't indicate 64 or 32 bit. You have to find the .msi file used to install the client to see which version is installed.

hope that helps.

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

The SQL Server Native Client bit level doesn't depend on the Application, but rather the OS bit level. So, that may not be the issue here.

What kind of Authentication are you using to register the database (Windows Authentication or Database Authentication)?

Try using a Database Authenticated login and check if you still face this issue.

TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Using Database Authentication got me past this error, but now I am getting a new error:

Machine: <machine name> [<databasename>: (null)]

I have created a new discussion for this error - Register data store error - Machine: [: (null)]

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Are you installing software on different servers or is everything on one machine?

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

This is all on one machine.

0 Kudos
AndrewBrown
New Contributor III

This error can occur if your ArcGIS Server Service Account doesn't have access to your Geodatabase.

PeterBirksmith
Occasional Contributor

Hey there

Had the same issue and adding the arcgis server account to the database did allow me to generate or register a database successfully.

Woohoo

Cheers

Peter

DylanKennard
New Contributor III

Yep this was my issue too.

0 Kudos
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

More than eight years later and this tip is still saving people's bacon (e.g. mine).

0 Kudos