Do custom basemaps (tile layers) stored on ArcGIS Online consume credits when viewed in a map?

Jump to solution
04-07-2015 05:40 AM
MattZetterman
New Contributor III

I recently created my own basemap by exporting a tile package from ArcMap and adding it to my Android device. The problem I ran into was that it wouldn't default to this custom basemap. I then decided to upload it to ArcGIS Online and convert it to a tile layer. I'm now able to set this new tile layer as the default basemap but I'm concerned about consuming a lot of credits. Looking at the credit utilization chart it hasn't consumed any credits yet but I just want to verify that tile layers won't consume credits.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattZetterman
New Contributor III

Thank you for your response. Even with the calculator it wasn't clear to me whether my basemap would consume credits so I contacted support. Basically you're charged for storage of the basemap but not for actual usage of the basemap. The storage credits are insignificant (0.33 credits so far for 1.2GB) so this will be the direction I'll go in.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LisaTurner
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Matt,

I'm not certain about the answer, but I did come across this thread that takes you to a tool that can estimate how many credits you might use. It says to only use it to estimate though, as true usage likely will vary. ArcGIS Online Credits Estimator

MattZetterman
New Contributor III

Thank you for your response. Even with the calculator it wasn't clear to me whether my basemap would consume credits so I contacted support. Basically you're charged for storage of the basemap but not for actual usage of the basemap. The storage credits are insignificant (0.33 credits so far for 1.2GB) so this will be the direction I'll go in.