Can I do these with Collector?

03-05-2015 08:06 AM
JafarAl-Kofahi
New Contributor II

We are looking into creating a GIS based mobile application - I was informed that ESRI Collector might be a good direction to go, I looked around and didnt find much documentation on what things can be done with it (maybe I am looking in the wrong place?) - so I am sorry if some of my questions are obvious

Our system is already in place and we are looking into this mobile app to help facilitate data collection in the field

Q1) Can I call a stored procedure to control the data update (i.e. update other fields, validate input..etc)?

Once a feature is updated we need to call a stored procedure to update other fields, this also relates to data validation, where and how can we do this in the app?

Q2) Link to live URL?

There are alot of design references that the user might need access to from the field (assuming they have a connection), can we expose the URL from within the application?

Q3) Controlling UI?

How much control do we have over the UI, can we have checkboxes, dropdowns...etc or are they all fields. I think in the tutorial I did see a drop-down.

Also can these be filled based on certain sequence of events? For example I have 2 drop-downs,D1 and D2, and I need D2 to be filled based on the contents of D1, is this possible?

Another scenario, is if D1 has value V1 then and ONLY then show D2?

Any insight is much appreciated

4 Replies
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

We are just looking at it too. Here is a Q&A you might be interested: Do you use Collector for ArcGIS | Questions & Answers

I'm not sure on the answer to your question but thought this was still good info.

JafarAl-Kofahi
New Contributor II

Thanks Chris this provided alot of insightful info - but it didnt answer all of my questions

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I didn't think it would; but it was quite a list.

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

Q1) Not sure.

Q2) Yes, if you have the link as an attribute of a feature and configure the pop-up in your web map.

Q3) Drop-downs will be shown where a field in your feature layer has a possible domain of values. Clever / conditional forms are unfortunately not possible as far as I know.

0 Kudos