Adding Sharepoint list data to Esri Maps webpart

10-08-2013 03:13 PM
DannyHaipola
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to add a Geo-enabled list to the Esri Maps Web part (Javascript).
I have 3 Geo-enabled lists on the page but when I select "add data from SharePoint" the result is "No geo-enabled list is found".
The lists have X,Y data and I have added the Esri Location field as per the online help.
As there is no error there is nothing in the logs to troubleshoot the issue.

Has anyone successfully loaded a SharePoint list to the Esri Maps web part?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ThomasBohnert1
New Contributor II
Hello,
I made similar experience like Danny described it. I can't see my coordinate lists with the new "Esri Maps Location" type column in the "add data from SharePoint" menue of the Javascript client. Only lists that already completed the Locate workflow (or maybe have also a Shape column?) are shown in the dialogue.

However the ArcGIS Map Web Part based on Silverlight offers both types of sharepoint lists, coordinate and located data.
0 Kudos
ThomasBohnert1
New Contributor II
And that's the solution for the current version 3.0 of Esri Maps for Sharepoint 3.0

Coordinate lists for the Esri Maps Web Part (Javascript) do not work if you name your Latitude/Longitude fields anything other than the following options:

• Latitude/Longitude

• X/Y

• ShapeX/ShapeY

Hope this will be changed in the future or at least documented.
JohnRandolph
New Contributor

I would like to add that the columns must be CREATED with the names Thomas mentions above. Existing columns that are renamed to one of the following WILL NOT WORK. Looks like Esri is looking for the internal SharePoint name of the column, not just at the display name.

• Latitude/Longitude
  • X/Y
  • ShapeX/ShapeY

Thank you Thomas, you saved my sanity!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable
My list doesn't seem to be popping up even though I added a Esri Maps Location field to it, do I need to do anything else? Does this list need to be stored in a specific location so that Esri Maps Web Part is able to find it? Should I go through the Esri Maps Locate Workflow process?

My issue may also be that the Esri Maps Location field did not populate after I added it, it's just empty. Is this normal?
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Ben,

Yes, the Location field should have populated after adding it. Could you try removing it and going through the process again? If you are still having trouble, can you detail the steps you went through in a reply to this post?

Thanks,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmm. Does the data type matter? I had to format my X,Y fields to text. Not sure if it's related to my Title column. I had a red message in the settings for my Esri Maps Location column that said I needed to have another column called Title. To remedy this I just renamed a random column 'Title'. Is the actual title column the one with hyper-linked records in it? (Currently my X field)

These are the steps I went through to create the Esri Maps Location column:

-Uploaded an excel spreadsheet (following the guidelines presented in the linked Office help vid: SharePoint lists III: Create a list based on a spreadsheet - SharePoint Server)

-List settings> Create column> checked Esri Maps Location

-Still in List settings, under Location Settings I checked Latitude and Longitude and selected the respective fields from        my table (list) in the drop down, Y for Y and X for X

-Clicked OK

I mentioned in another post (which I'm guessing will reappear once GeoNet is setup fully) that my Esri Maps for Sharepoint is version 2.1.1. Is this an issue?

0 Kudos
JenaHBG
New Contributor II

Piggybacking on this thread. I have a Sharepoint list with plants that do have associated location codes not coordinates. Is it possible to still connect it to my portal\other?  Basically, a plant comes in and is taken to a location (coded) but not yet planted, so no coordinates taken at this step. The location codes DO match an existing feature class of polygons, which is helpful to capture. This then triggers me to get xy coordinates in the field. I'd like to be able to go to the coded location and see a point representing the List entry near me, then using field maps update that point to XYs in the field. Is this a workflow I can do with Lists & ESRI apps?

0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ben, sorry, I thought I had responded to this but it looks like the message was lost in the ether. The data type shouldn't matter. If you'd like to send me your data I can take a look? I think you should be able to send something privately here on GeoNet if necessary.

Katy

Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Attempted to send you a message, but it says you have to be following me for me to do that.

0 Kudos