Alternatives to using SDE command line tools - Blog Discussion

10-21-2013 07:40 AM
ChetDobbins
Esri Contributor
With the release of 10.2 and plans to deprecate the ArcSDE command line tools, you may be wondering how current tasks that use these tools can be completed elsewhere. This blog provides some workflows that have alternate user interface tools in ArcCatalog/ArcMap that will make transitioning as seamless as possible.

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2013/10/04/do-this-not-that-alternatives-to-using-sde-comma...

We are very interested in hearing feedback from everyone who uses the ArcSDE commands, including questions, concerns, and ideas for making this successful. You can also contact Esri Support Services for specific ArcSDE commands that do not have comparable replacements.

This document outlines the planned changes in platform and functionality in the ArcGIS 10.2 release and
includes a reference to ArcGIS 10.1 deprecation notes.
http://downloads2.esri.com/support/TechArticles/W26496_W25918_DEPRECATION_PLAN_FOR_ARCGIS_101_and_10...
131 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

Good & correct effort from SDE. We like very much! Thx a lot, team.

With the interface to those SDE admin tools in Catalog/ ArcCatalog, it will make geospatial professionals have more time on data quality, data integrity, application development and analysis, ....

Personally, it also offers more adavantages over other spatial engines like Oracle Spatial & SQL Server Spatial.

Alternatives to using SDE command line tools in ArcGIS | Support Services Blog

0 Kudos
BoGuo
by
New Contributor II

Managing SDE from the ArcGIS Desktop UI is fine for interactive uses.

But for administrators who need automate the tools via a script, the UIs

are of little use. Can someone from Esri confirm that most if not all

the SDE command line functions are exposed via Arcpy?

larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

Obviously, it is helpful, no matter whomever you are, ‘dedicated SDE + DB developer’ administrator, data warehouse administrator (SDE + ArcGIS Server + developer), or geospatial analyst…

In fact, in many organizations, those roles are hardly differentiated, because the managements mostly want the projects done as effectively as possible, in addition to data administration…

+++++++++++

Bo,

I don't see the workscope for this project. However, I believe that SDE team is moving in this direction.

Traditionally, Bash or Perl are the tools of choice when operating systems need some scripting. Given their ease of use, they have become virtually ubiquitous and seeped into other software, including Oracle Database - which relies on them extensively for all kinds of administrative and management tasks.

Recently, however, this trend has shifted in favor of newer programming tools like Python, which offers intuitive development and a variety of flexible data structures and libraries. All modern Unix and Linux systems come with Python on board; for example, Oracle Linux 6.1 ships with Python 2.6.6.

0 Kudos
TangoPapa
New Contributor

How do I change the max number of connections to an SDE without the sdeconfig commandline tools?  I'm using 10.2 with a postgres rdbms.  I don't know why this is such a difficult task.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Thanh There is no tool as of now to change the max no. of connections limit. The 'sdeconfig' command is the only way.

There is a tool planned in the upcoming 10.3 for this which will help in these scenario. Just FYI.

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Thanh - Why are you having issues using the sdeconfig commands at 10.2? Are you having issues with the syntax for this?

A note about 10.3:

In previous releases of the enterprise geodatabase, the default number of connections allowed was 64. This limit helped prevent overloading the server when all or most connections to the geodatabase were made through an application server running on the same server as the geodatabase. Beginning with 10.3, there is no limitation imposed on the number of connections to new 10.3 geodatabases or geodatabases upgraded to the 10.3 release.

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Running compress on Linux/Unix

We have an ArcSDE on Linux/Unix. We run a process that compresses the database every night.

Now that we cannot use the command line to do it we should find a different way.

It can be run from windows compressing the database on Linux but we would like it to be Linux process only.

There is a compress GP tool but we need to run it on Linux.

Should we install ArcGIS Server Standard for Linux?

Should we buy a license for Server Standard only for this command?

Thanks

Mody

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

To Mody Buchbinder

Running compress on Linux/Unix

We have ArcSDE in Oracle 11g on a Linux server. We perform database maintenance operations (including compress) with a Python script executed by Task Scheduler on a Windows Server 2012r2 machine. We use a process very similar to the one Esri recommends‌ and it works quite well; no SDEMON required. However, we did find that killing all users did not clean up the processes and sessions correctly on the Linux server. See my thread here for more information.

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
DavidGifford
Occasional Contributor

I've been watching the spatial view discussion with quiet amusement, hoping that Esri would come to the rescue at the 11th hour and with the release of 10.3 and make it possible to register a view with the geodatabase again. I was wrong, and my faith has been shattered. Still can't believe that they got rid of something so important that's been around for at least 13 years that I know of. Shame.

But here's how it can be done using an Oracle database (must be similar for other flavours), I'll automate it eventually, just need to work out how to generate layer_id and object_id from stored procedures. I also did it in 10.1 I'm guessing it'll work in 10.3, if you try it let me know.

1. Create feature class with same name and schema as the new view (this'll generate the object and layer ID's in SDE schema)
  2. Delete table using database tools (I used Toad). This keeps the SDE schema intact.
  3. Create view using SQL (once again I used Toad).
  4. Check in ArcCatalog, it should behave like a view created using command line including the ability to create and edit metadata.

I also altered the view to add a new column, and the SDE schema updated accordingly in the column_registry table.

We will however be keeping to SDE 10.1 for a while yet, even though we're moving Desktop and Server to 10.3.

Regards

-David