Filling in 'donut holes' in a polygon feature

02-04-2015 06:13 PM
MartyRocks
New Contributor II

Hi folks,

First post here so i hope it's in the right subforum. I have a shapefile polygon of Australia, within which are thousands of 'holes' that represent lakes, ponds, water features etc. All I want to do is simply remove all these holes and be left with a solid, filled-in Australia shaped coastline.

Is there a quick/ efficient way to do this? I've been trying a few methodologies, none of which are particularly efficient, and I thought there may be a more elegant solution within a tool (or a combination of tools). There are literally thousands of these gaps. All irregualr in shape and of varying sizes, so a 'one-by-one' approach is definitely not the way to go!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Marty

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

Check the answers in this post - How do I remove holes (such as lakes) from a polygon feature

The answers by Vincent and Jakub should work.

MartyRocks
New Contributor II

Outstanding owen cheers! I did check to see if this question had been asked but nothing came up. Oh well. I'll try the solutions now and see if they work.

Marty

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Marty,

Just go with the following steps:

Geoprocessing > Union

Enter the feature class with gaps in input.

Uncheck Gaps Allowed.

Then, Dissolve it if you want a single outline boundary of Australia.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
MartyRocks
New Contributor II

Thanks Jay, exactly what I was after!

0 Kudos
MartyRocks
New Contributor II

Thanks again Owen, those answers worked a treat.

0 Kudos
TheOanaAndOnly
New Contributor

Hi! I can't acces it. Is there any other way that i can see the answers? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos