ArcMap legend update not working

Jump to solution
02-05-2015 02:54 AM
MatejFekiac
New Contributor

I have a problem with the automatic legend update in ArcMap. After I place a legend to my map, the items in the legend should automaticly response to adding new layers to the map. But it doesn´t work. Or at least, it doesn´t work properly. By that I mean, some layers appear in the legend after adding them to map and some don´t. In the legend properties window, in the "Items" tab, I have checked the "Add a new item to the legend when a new layer is added to the map" line. So it should work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"Add a new item to the legend when a new layer is added to the map" will only addthe new layers added to TOC, not the old layers which were already present in TOC (and not added to legend during legend creation).

Think Location

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matej,

What version of ArcGIS are you using?

Are those layers turned on in the table of contents? (I suppose you haven't converted your legend into graphics).

Moreover, the features should be present on your data frame to show those layers (Dynamic Legend)

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
MatejFekiac
New Contributor

Hi Jayanta,

Yes, all of the layers are in the table of contents. E.g. I have about 15 layers in the table of contents and only two turned on. When I create a legend with only those two turned on, the legend is fine. But when I turn on another layer, it doesn´t add a new item to the legend.

I haven´t converted the legend into graphics.

ArcGIS 10.0 SP5

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matej,

You need to add all layers to the legend while creating a legend, if already present in TOC during legend creation.

Else it won't come up in the legend.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"Add a new item to the legend when a new layer is added to the map" will only addthe new layers added to TOC, not the old layers which were already present in TOC (and not added to legend during legend creation).

Think Location
MatejFekiac
New Contributor

OK, go it.

Many thanks,

Matej

0 Kudos