One or more layers failed to draw

Jump to solution
01-21-2015 12:21 AM
zinko_ko_min
New Contributor

I am encountering this weird error when I zoom out the map beyond 1:200, one of the layer failed to show with the error:

"One or more layers failed to draw:

General function failure[S3]

error during Project"

I tried to find solutions for many days and still cannot found yet. Please help me solve this problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KishorGhatage
Occasional Contributor III

Does the layer give error in new map session?

You can try copy / past the small group of layers (or one by one )  in  a new map document and check if the issue is reproducible each time. This will verify if there are other layers with the same problem. If you do not find this issue after coping all the layers in new map session that means there is a problem with the Map document. I can understand this could be a very time consuming trouble shooting if you have lot of layers in the map document.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KishorGhatage
0 Kudos
zinko_ko_min
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. But my layer doesn't have any of __ the definition queries, SQL expressions used for multiple label classes, and symbology exclusion expressions.

And the layer shows ok if i zoom in deep enough.

0 Kudos
zinko_ko_min
New Contributor

After I turn off the label features in this layer, no more error is display.

But the layer won't show when I zoom out.

0 Kudos
KishorGhatage

Take a back up of this shape file / feature class and then add it in a new map session. Run Check geometry and then try Repair geometry. Then add this layer to the original mxd and see if it gives the error.

zinko_ko_min
New Contributor

Sorry for late reply.

I have tried that method and a few others tips I got searching google as well.

But the problem still remains. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
KishorGhatage

Does the layer give error in new map session?

You can try copy / past the small group of layers (or one by one )  in  a new map document and check if the issue is reproducible each time. This will verify if there are other layers with the same problem. If you do not find this issue after coping all the layers in new map session that means there is a problem with the Map document. I can understand this could be a very time consuming trouble shooting if you have lot of layers in the map document.

0 Kudos
zinko_ko_min
New Contributor

Thanks Kishor!

I could copy and paste the troubling layer in new map session without any problem. I guess I will just create a new map and copy everything over. Tedious but at least it works.

Thanks again for patient and quick helps.

0 Kudos