Python help needed... select polygons from one shapefile, based on values in another table...

Jump to solution
01-07-2015 02:58 PM
John_S_Wood
New Contributor II

I have a table in a geodatabase with the following field names (types):

OBJECTID (Object ID)

SpeciesNum (String)

Sci_Name  (String)

Spp_number (String)

Sum_A1  (Long)

Sum_A2 (Long)

Sum_A3 (Long)

Sum_H2 (Long)

Sum_H3 (Long)

Sum_H4 (Long)

Sum_H5 (Long)

Sum_H6 (Long)

I also have a shapefile with regions A through G, subdivided into depth classes 1-6…. Each of the 48 polygons is coded A1, A2, A3….H5, H6. Field Name is ‘Code’ (String).

I want to select polygons from the shapefile, based on whether the corresponding field in the table has a ‘1’ or a ‘0’ value. So if Sum_A1 and Sum_A2 both contain ‘1’s, the A1 and A2 polygons will be selected. I then want to export the selected polygons as a new shapefile with the name from Sci_Name, and a field containing the SpeciesNum (a string value).

Since I have about 13,000 species, each of which should become a separate shapefile, I need to automate this process. 

Oh yeah, I’m working in ArcMap 10.2, with Python 2.7. Any help or helpful fragments ware greatly appreciated! I am new to the Forums, so I've probably just broken all sorts of protocols. I apologize in advance!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
HannahCole2
New Contributor

First of all, you are running on a sweet setup, 10.2 is solid to work with in terms of extending functionality of the application through automation with Python! (I am jealous). Just curious, why you are associating what seems like a "random" floating table with shapefiles - shouldn't those features be tied with their respectable attributes? If this were the case, it would be SO much easier to automate (less convoluted and complex of an analysis project), since you could utilize the Select Layer by Attribute etc. i.e. draw from the power of querying alone, using python, and the script would select the diff polygons from the shapefile based on this boolean condition you have set up. Search Cursors are very powerful but can get very tricky, as we see here I suppose.. - extreme patience is needed of course when debugging. PS, Filip's code looks really clean and easy to work with, hope that works out for you. As is expected though it will most likely break the first few times you try and run it on a different machine! Part of the fun though right?!

I second (Filip's comment above) using the print statements to test different snippets of the code. Very very helpful to me in the past as well indeed! I pretty much structure my whole debugging workflow based on print statements and commenting in and out. I also suggest (if you haven't tried this before) commenting out your entire code initially, and running it block by block, un commenting as you go - best for easily locating exactly where the code is breaking... Post the code that works if you get it running, I am really curious to see what runs! Also thanks for posting this in the first place.. its been a little while since I've worked with it and nice to read through to keep skills sharp!

0 Kudos
John_S_Wood
New Contributor II

Yes... nice to keep skills sharp! I got it to work... here's what I ended up with:

import arcpy

... import os

... #import codecs

... # parameters

... in_table = r'C:\Users\jwood\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\BGM_Chpt9'

... in_fc = r'C:\Users\jwood\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\OctDepths'

... out_folder = r'C:\Users\jwood\Documents\IUCN Red List\Shapefiles\Chpt9'

... polygon_code_field = "Code"

...  #9

... # list all fields from the table

... all_fields = [f.name for f in arcpy.ListFields(in_table)]

...  #12

... # loop through all rows in table

... with arcpy.da.SearchCursor(in_table, '*') as sc:

...     for row in sc:

...  #16

...         item = dict(zip(all_fields, row)) # represent row as a dictionary

...   #18

...         species_name = item.get('BINOMIAL', 'Unknown')

...         species_number = item.get('SpeciesNum', 0)

...         iucn_num = item.get('IUCN_number', 'Unknown')

...         origin = item.get('ORIGIN', 'Unknown')

...         taxon_id = item.get('TAXON_ID', 'Unknown')

...         compiler = item.get('COMPILER', 'Unknown')

...         presence = item.get('PRESENCE', 'Unknown')

...         citation = item.get('Citation', 'Unknown')

...         seasonal = item.get('SEASONAL', 'Unknown')

...         dist_comm = item.get('DIST_COMM', 'Unknown')

...         year_ = item.get('YEAR_', 'Unknown')

...         island_ = item.get('Island_', 'Unknown')

...         source_ = item.get('Source_', 'Unknown')

...         subPop = item.get('SUBPOP', 'Unknown')

...         legend= item.get('LEGEND', 'Unknown')

...         subSpec = item.get('SUBSPECIES', 'Unknown')

...         chaptNum = item.get('ChaptNum', 'Unknown')

...         tax_comm = item.get('TAX_COMM', 'Unknown')

...         BGM_url = item.get('URL', 'Unknown')

... #38

...         # get list of polygon codes that should be selected

...         polygons_to_select = []

...         for field_name, value in item.iteritems():

...             field_name_upper = field_name.upper() # to make comparison case insensitive

...             if field_name_upper and value == 1:

...                 polygon_code = field_name_upper

...                 polygons_to_select.append(polygon_code)

... #47

...         if polygons_to_select:

...             # create a string like "'A1','B2',..."

...             codes = ",".join(["'" + str(pg) + "'" for pg in polygons_to_select])

...             # build an SQL expression

...             sql = '"%s" IN (%s)' % (polygon_code_field, codes)

... #53

...             #print codes      

...             #print polygon_code_field

... #56

...             # export as a new shapefile with species_name in the file name

...             out_fc = os.path.join(out_folder, species_name)

...             out_fc = arcpy.analysis.Select(in_fc, out_fc, sql).getOutput(0)

... #60

...             # add the column with species number as string

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "BINOMIAL", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "BINOMIAL", "'" + str(species_name) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "SpeciesNum", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "SpeciesNum", "'" + str(species_number) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "ORIGIN", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "TAXON_ID", "TEXT")   #67

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "TAXON_ID", "'" + str(taxon_id) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "COMPILER", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "COMPILER", "'" + str(compiler) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3") #70

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "PRESENCE", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "PRESENCE", "'" + str(presence) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "Citation", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "Citation", "'" + str(citation) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "SEASONAL", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "SEASONAL", "'" + str(seasonal) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "DIST_COMM", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "DIST_COMM", "'" + str(dist_comm) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "YEAR_", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "YEAR_", "'" + str(year_) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3") #80

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "Island", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "Island", "'" + str(island_) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "SOURCE", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "SOURCE", "'" + str(source_) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "SUBPOP", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "SUBPOP", "'" + str(subPop) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "LEGEND", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "LEGEND", "'" + str(legend) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "SUBSPECIES", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "SUBSPECIES", "'" + str(subSpec) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "ChaptNum", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "ChaptNum", "'" + str(chaptNum) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "TAX_COMM", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "TAX_COMM", "'" + str(tax_comm) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             arcpy.management.AddField(out_fc, "BGMUrl", "TEXT")

...             arcpy.CalculateField_management(out_fc, "BGMUrl", "'" + str(BGM_url) + "'", "PYTHON_9.3")

...             #print island

...             #print source

...             #arcpy.Dissolve_management(out_fc, out_fc_Dissolv, "SpeciesNum", "", "MULTI_PART", "DISSOLVE_LINES")

...         else:

...             # no 'A1,A2' column contains 1 for this species, skip this species

...             pass

FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Hi John, I am glad you made it work.

To insert syntax highlighted code into this forum you have to use the advanced editor when you are editing the message.

The advanced editor is available only if you are writing answer on the page dedicated to the thread (in this case that is https://community.esri.com/thread/119510‌‌ . After you click "Reply" or "Reply to original post", click "Use advanced editor" in the top right corner of the simple editor. In the advanced editor, paste in your code, select it and click on the insert button (looks like this: ">>"), then click "Syntax Highlighting" and choose the appropriate language. You may need to delete some extra empty rows once the code is highlighted.

So... yes, it is a pretty convoluted process. Perhaps it will be more straightforward in some future versions of GeoNet. I am sure there is a thread dedicated to this topic.

Filip.

0 Kudos