How to add a map service from my Arcmap server to Arcpad?

Jump to solution
01-03-2015 06:19 AM
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

How can I add a map service from my Arcmap server to Arcpad

many thanks

Ahmad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HannahFerrier

Hi Ahmad,

If you open the 'Add Data from Server' tool and enter the address of your server, you should be able to see your map services and add them to ArcPad. There are a few rules that you need to follow for map services, so please read the relevant help topic here and keep the following in mind:

•     The map service must use the Web Mercator projection.
  •     You must create a map cache on the server.
  •     The map cache must include the highest level of detail, Layer 0 (equivalent to the extent of the world).

Thanks,

Hannah

View solution in original post

4 Replies
HannahFerrier

Hi Ahmad,

If you open the 'Add Data from Server' tool and enter the address of your server, you should be able to see your map services and add them to ArcPad. There are a few rules that you need to follow for map services, so please read the relevant help topic here and keep the following in mind:

•     The map service must use the Web Mercator projection.
  •     You must create a map cache on the server.
  •     The map cache must include the highest level of detail, Layer 0 (equivalent to the extent of the world).

Thanks,

Hannah

AhmadSALEH1

Many thanks Hannah,

It worked with me, but how could I overcome the problem of projection because my map services have different projections, and I need to publish them in with my own projection not with Web Mercator and still read them in arcpad. Is there any work around to do this ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ahmad

0 Kudos
NateArnold
Occasional Contributor

Hannah,

I've been through the articles on how to create an AGS service for ArcPad.  They suggest using exploded format, but don't specify an image storage type.  The default is MIXED, which will create both PNG (blank or partially so) tiles and JPEG (content tiles). 

I added the service to ArcPad to make sure the NMF and L00-L03 folders were created, then took the map service offline.  I then copied all the tiles from the map service's cache folder into the NMF file's cache location. 

The cache does indeed work offline, but it looks like it's turning everything into PNG files with world files and a projection xml.  In this screenshot, the JPG files are what was copied from the AGS service's cache directory, and the PNG, PGW, and xml files were created by ArcPad when viewing the layer:

Capture.PNG

Is this the way it's supposed to function, or is there some ArcPad setting I need to change?  If it's the intended behavior, this will more than double the cache's size when using it.

0 Kudos
AhmadSALEH1

Hi Nate ,

Despite the fact that I have followed the three rules in order to read an map service in ArcPad 10.2.1, the ArcPad still fails to read the map service and shows the error HTTP error 400 , which is found to be a bug  in ArcPad 10.2.1 and 10.2.2, So its not useful to consume a map service in ArcPad also that you should use Web Mercator projection not you preferred  projection

0 Kudos