Geocoder dijit bug at JS API 3.10+

12-29-2014 10:21 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Hoping to get a response from Esri on a couple geocoder related problems:

The geocoder dijit starting at 3.10 (everything seems to work find at 3.9) doesn't send a query to a geocoding service if the input is in all caps until the user enters a space.  That is, it ignores the minCharacters property and just doesn't try to get a list of results from the geocoding service.  However, if the user input is in lowercase or camel case, minCharacters is honored and the dijit sends a request to the service at the appropriate time.  I have investigated this behavior with both ArcGIS World Geocoding service and a 10.2.2 custom Geocode Service.

Also, ArcGIS Geocode Service at 10.3 is much different than earlier versions (suggest query and magic keys and such).  I don't think version 3.12 of the API was written with 10.3 in mind, so all applications using the standard geocoder dijit will break if you upgrade to 10.3 (please see this post: ArcGIS 10.3 GeocodeServer and JS 3.12 Geocoder Widget

Any thoughts on that?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

So an additional detail I've discovered is that it's the holding down of the shift key that is the problem, not the caps itself.  In other words, if caps lock is on, this doesn't become a problem, but if the shift key is held down, it does.  So if caps lock is on, AND the shift key is held down (hence all input being in lower case), the problem still exists.  So it's the shift key.

The reason I found this out is because of of our custom geocoders uses airport codes (DCA, LAX, SFO) as input.  Users are used to entering in these items as all-caps acronyms, but as JS API 3.10+, the auto suggest doesn't work.  Seems like a bug to me. 

0 Kudos
nikhilsharma1
New Contributor

Hi Jay,

I have now logged a bug report for the same. The bug ID is BUG-000084305 ("Auto-Complete functionality of the Geocoder dijit fails when the shift key of the keyboard is held down while searching in JS API 3.12. ").

Thanks,

Nikhil

KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Jay,

This does seem like a bug. Your best bet is to open a support incident so they can investigate and log a bug if necessary.

Kelly

MattDriscoll
Esri Contributor

Hi Jay,

This is a bug, thanks for letting us know. The fix is already on the Github code if you need it now. It will be in the next release.