Does CityEngine benefit from using 2 GPU Nvidia GEForce GTX 970 in SLI ?

12-17-2014 01:28 AM
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I`m having trouble rendering a scene in CityEngine because of a large consumption on RAM and GPU. ( I`m having like 2000 polygons that I want to apply a rule to create random 9 types of 3D buildings created in Maya) and I want to know if another GPU Nvidia GEForce GTX 970 to be used in SLI and doubling RAM memory to 32 GB would be a solution? Does CE works,support,benefits with 2 GPUs on SLI?

Thanks,

Ionut

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you adjusted the reserved java memory in the CityEngine.ini file? You see this memory shown in the lower right corner of the CityEngine GUI.  If not, I'll explain.

Capture2.JPG

By default this number is around 4GB.

IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris,

No I haven`t....

I`m not at work right now but as far as I remember the memory you highlighted was around 4000 mb and the one to the left of it around 12000 mb. When I start applying the rules the memory from the right( the one you have 24 gb in the picture above) starts to decrease to around 1000 mb.... I will check again for sure tomorrow morning...

The thing is that we acquired a PC with the GPU specifications from above and 16 GB RAM memory and I`m still having trouble with my scene.... I get to move in it with 2 FPS after I raise all my buildings, terrain and streets...

I want to know for sure if I should double the RAM memory and get another GPU to use in SLI with the other one..

Thanks !

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hi Chris,

So regarding SLI, does it work ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

Hey ..

Regarding SLI:

See my reply here:

Re: Freeing up system memory?

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

-----------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matt,

I understand what you say but the problem is that currently the scene that I`m working on is rendering very slow ( 2-3 FPS) because of big amount of 3D buildings generated ( mostly of them are created in SU and Maya ) ... that`s why I think I need more RAM and GPU ....

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1

Hi Chris

Can you explain what to change - I've found the .ini file but it's not obvious to me what to change.

Do you think changing this memory help me?  I've been having some small performance gripes as per this thread.

Re: CityEngine performance expectations?

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

Hi Ben,

Sadly, all the old forum entries not easily found anymore. I wrote this all down years ago.

You ONLY edit line 8, "-Xmx"

Nothing else. Watch out that the value in MegaBytes is about max. half your system memory size.

You need more precise details ?

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

----------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

Guys, please don't mix topics in a thread... !

Ionut, can you post a few a screenshot of how many polygons your rule creates ?

And the polycount.

Please let me know.

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

---------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

HI Matt,

When I enter my scene and I get the question if I want my models to be re-generated the number is 12649

I have several rules that I have applied - some of them creates 3D buildings from rule ( and also includes obj windows, chimneys and doors) and others just import some 3D buildings created in SketchUp and Maya.

The LOD is high...

Here`s a print of the scene ( it`s an entire city in a mountain area) : 25349 Objects | 71613662 Polygons

print1.jpg

print2.jpg

0 Kudos