Aviation "Obstruction Indenification Surface"

11-06-2014 07:29 AM
Labels (1)
BoydNowicki
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a Part 77 surface for a Airport that is our client. The Airport has two Runways one being 8,000' and the other 10,000'. Three of the Runway end are Precision ends and the fourth is Non Precision: Greater than 3/4 Mile.  The High end is the fourth ended just mentioned. When I run the tool to create the surface it only depicts two of the runway ends. If I change my ends to be all the same it generates all ends... Why? Is this a bug?

5 Replies
DavidFetter
New Contributor

Hi Boyd,

I work on the Aviation team and I have a few questions about how you are running the tool that should help track down this issue. What version of ArcGIS are you using? Are you running the tool through the dockable window or via the GP tools? What output type are you using? Does the tool give any error messages or are certain surfaces just not generated?

You will need to run the tool once for each runway since when running on multiple runways the tool applies the same pair of runway classifications to every runway.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
BoydNowicki
New Contributor II

David,

I am working on the 10.3 version. I am running the tool via the dock-able video as shown below. For the Output I am running tins, but I get same results from other choices. I did not get any errors in the results window either.

However I just saw your last part of your message. I was running all runways.  I guess we can run each runway separate, but we would like to use this as part of the ALP (Airspace sheet) as well and that requires a composite of the surfaces. I was hoping we could use this for analysis as and not per runway. I have software (Simtra) that produces a composite and does analysis on the obstruction, but our mapping data come in shapefile or geo-database format and I can not use that with the Simtra software we have without doing a a bunch of conversion and then trying to rename things to re-match the original data.

Results Shown below...

0 Kudos
DavidFetter
New Contributor

Hi Boyd,

I think the approach surfaces for the low runway end are just being hidden by the merged surface TIN. If you turn that off in the Table of Contents you should see the approaches on those runway ends.

The 'MergedSurfaces' TIN contains the horizontal and conical surfaces merged for both runways it can be used for analysis of those surfaces. You can then generate TINs separately for each runway since they have different sets of runway classifications then use those for analysis on the other surfaces.

If you need to do more in depth analysis against individual surfaces I would recommend using multipach output as that creates a single feature for each surface.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
BoydNowicki
New Contributor II

David,

Because you have to do each Runway Separate and according to my Runway Inputs I have to put in, you are correct. However I still need to make one full composite of the entire Part 77 Surface and not just one Runway. After running the runways separate there is no way to merge the Horizontal and Conical along with the Outer Approaches into one complete model along showing proper contours within each surface. I attached an example of what we want as an end product to be and to be able to analyze things off of that as well. Airport Airspace Drawing-Part 77.jpg

0 Kudos
DavidFetter
New Contributor

Morning Boyd,

The workflow we recommend is to create multipatches for analysis and then create polygons for visualization. There is some manual work required to adjust the polygon ordering in order for it to display as desired, but it should be possible.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos