How to update MSD encrypted passwords without making SDE connection?

10-05-2014 12:26 PM
AndyArismendi1
New Contributor III

I'm trying to write a little utility to update encrypted passwords in MSD files. I would like to do this directly without updating the MXD and re-saving the MSD.

So far this is what I've tried... I extracted and updated the MSD (zip) by editing the WorkspaceConnectionString (see below) with a new encrypted password from IWorkspaceName2.

This is the connection string from inside the MSD -

>

<DataConnection xsi:type="typens:CIMStandardDataConnection"><WorkspaceConnectionString>ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD=...;SERVER=localhost;INSTANCE=sde:postgresql:localhost;DATABASE=sde;USER=sde;VERSION=sde.DEFAULT;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS</WorkspaceConnectionString><WorkspaceFactory>SDE</WorkspaceFactory><Dataset>sde.sde.bldg</Dataset></DataConnection>

This is the code I have to encrypt the password - I can swap out the ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD in the connection string for PASSWORD="swordfish" and pass it as ConnectionString to this. Unfortunately it first has to use OpenFromString which attempts to make an SDE connection. When it fails to connect I can't get the new ConnectionString.

private string GetSecureConnStr(string ConnectionString)

{

Type factoryType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID("esriDataSourcesGDB.SdeWorkspaceFactory");

IWorkspaceFactory2 workspaceFactory2 = (IWorkspaceFactory2)Activator.CreateInstance(factoryType);

IWorkspace ws = workspaceFactory2.OpenFromString(ConnectionString, 0);

IDataset dataset = (IDataset)ws;

IWorkspaceName2 wsName2 = (IWorkspaceName2)dataset.FullName;

return wsName2.ConnectionString;

}

After I get the updated connection string I can store it in the MSD with this -

private const bool UseRelativePath = false;

private const bool ValidateLayerConnection = false;

IMSDHelper helper = new MSDHelper();

helper.Open(msdFilePath);

var maps = helper.GetMaps();

for (var i = 0; i < maps.Count; i++)

{

var layers = helper.GetLayers(maps.Element);

for (var j = 0; j < layers.Count; j++)

{

helper.PutWorkspaceConnectionStringInLayer(layers.Element, connectionString, ValidateLayerConnection);

}

}

helper.SaveAs(resultMsdFile, UseRelativePath);

}

0 Kudos
0 Replies