Move a point feature to specific lat/long

Jump to solution
10-01-2014 12:13 PM
ThomasCaruso
New Contributor III

I'm wondering if there is a way to move a point feature to a specifc lat/long location. I am aware of the "move" tool in the edit bar, but it's only relational - it moves the point a certain distance relative to where it is, and besides, the units are in "x and y" distances and I have no idea what grid that's referencing in terms of my map, nor even how to find out. If I try to move a point by (+1, +1), for example, then it moves it fully out of the county I'm working on. It's really quite annoying, not to mention time consuming to determine the proper location that a point should be in, and then have to mark said spot, pan back to the point and then zoom out, drag and drop and then zoom in for finer placement. I'm really hoping there is an easier way.

Thanks,

Tom

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Did you try this? ArcGIS Help 10.1

The reference should be in whatever grid your feature service is in.

Or you could use the Go to XY tool, which will place a point to your location which you could then use to drag your point to.

ArcGIS Desktop

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Did you try this? ArcGIS Help 10.1

The reference should be in whatever grid your feature service is in.

Or you could use the Go to XY tool, which will place a point to your location which you could then use to drag your point to.

ArcGIS Desktop

0 Kudos
ThomasCaruso
New Contributor III

Thank you again my friend. I unfortunately did not relate "vertex" and "point" in my head; though it does make sense that the tools that work with verticies would also work for a point. Your help is much appreciated!

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

No problem! I never thought about it this way either.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

double-click on the point and select Edit Sketch Properties as shown in the attachment  EditSketchProperties.pngand this image

0 Kudos